Question TV messes up when I turn my PC on

ali3na

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013
My gf bought a TV and a DVB-T antenna for the bedroom. We had some problems with signal quality and today I nailed it down to my PC in the living room. Basically whenever I turn it on the TV is unwatchable, moment I turn it off, all is ok.

They are not connected by any cables btw...

Ralston18

Titan
They are, however, "connected" with respect to the electrical wiring/circuits within your residence.

Is the TV on your home network with the PC? Wired or wireless?

Another consideration: is the living room PC using wired or wireless connectivity?

More information needed: what are the symptoms with respect to "messes up"?

TV make and model information will be helpful.

Update your post accordingly.

ali3na

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013
TV is a Hisense H32B5100 (just a regular not smart 32" TV and an Infinity LX21 Dvb-T antenna)... Both are connected to the same extension cord and into the wall... PC in the other room is connected to the router with wire, and an old Philips TV is connected to the cable TV network. PC is connected with the Philips Tv with a HDMI cable.

What i mean with messed up is picture getting scrambled and sound going on and off randomly...

Ralston18

Titan
I am down to two possible sources for the problem:

1) PC is generating EMI (Electrical Magnetic Interference)

2) Ground loop.

For more information:

https://monopricesupport.kayako.com/article/280-ground-loops

The interference is only when the PC in the other room is on - correct?

No difference with and without the old Phillips TV being powered on or off.

Or the HDMI cable to the TV being connected or disconected from the PC?

Or the coax cable to the old Philips TV being connected or disconnected.

Unplug the PC and plug in a couple of other similar wattage devices. The idea being to verify for sure that it is the PC and not the power outlet.

Is the PC fully enclosed in its' case? Is the PC plugged into a three prong electrical outlet?