TV not displaying correct resolution from PC source.

Lee Dilloway

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015
Hi guys, I'm sorry if this isn't in the right place, I'm new here and I'm lost for ideas on how to solve this problem.

I have a PC connected to a LG TV via HDMI cable. TV model is LG 50PK350.
My GPU is a GTX 770.

I've always had my PC connected to this TV and I've never had any problems until now. My computer won't recognise the TV anymore and as such displays at a max resolution of 1024x768 and reads it as a generic non-pnp monitor. It used to recognise it correctly as a LG-TV Monitor and would display 1080x1024 just fine.

I recently upgraded to windows 8.1 (From windows 8) but the TV was working fine after that for a couple of months. I don't know what has happened to cause this, I just woke up one day and it no longer works properly. I've tried multiple new HDMI cables, I've tried both HDMI sockets on my TV, neither work but occasionally after switching from one HDMI source to the other the screen will display at 1080p. This would be fine but it randomly reverts back to 1024x768 for no reason and even at 1080p it's still showing up as a generic non-pnp monitor, so I get no sound through the TV speakers.

All I can think to do is to do a fresh install of windows, I'm not even sure if that would solve the problem.

Is my TV on its way out, is my graphics card done with? is it just a case of corrupted drivers?

An example of the problem is that I was just playing GTA V (The screen was originally displaying 1080p) but when I exited the game the desktop has reverted back to 1024x768.

If you could help me solve this problem that would be great. I've tried doing a clean install of the latest nvidia drivers too btw.

Lee Dilloway

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015

I've downloaded and installed all the drivers for my mainboard, it still doesn't detect my tv like it used to so the problem has not been solved.