Question TV not working any longer...

Jul 23, 2021
Okay, here's my problem.

I'm running a Toshiba TV through HDMI for one of my displays (a Toshiba 50LF621U21, to be specific). There was a a TV software update, which okay, that happens. Everything seemed normal initially, display sat in the log in screen just fine while I showered, but once I logged in... the display went straight to black, occasionally flickering but for the most part getting the "HDMI input not present" error.

Okay, that's weird, I thought. Maybe something to do with the update? So I factory reset. Nope, still the same problem.

Tried a different cable. Nothing.

Tried different cables in different ports. No good.

Tried different spots on my graphics card. Nope.

Tried different devices in the original HDMI port. Those work perfectly fine.

Tried different displays in the original graphics card port. Those also work perfectly fine.

It does "work" when I plugged in an old HDMI cable and turned it all the way down to 720p, but that's not particularly tenable.

It's something specifically about Windows with that TV that it no longer wants to play nice with (and even then only once I log in), and I'm at a loss. I think it might be a driver issue, but I have no idea how to fix that with what Windows recognizes as only a Generic PnP display.

Anybody else got any ideas?

UPDATE: If for whatever reason, the TV turns off, once it turns back on, Windows freezes completely.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I recall this happening to me as well, particularly with Windows freezing completely. As I recall it was related to HDR in Windows, which I had to disable after a lot of trial and error. I believe I ended up dragging a monitor to it and doing everything from there since I couldn't get the TV to respond properly. Might also have had something to do with the various types of HDMI on the TV. My old one had bespoke 1080p connections and separate 4K connections. New one only has 4K, but one supports 120hz and another is the designated eARC connector.

Hopefully that points you in the right direction.

Jul 23, 2021
Yeah, I've tried everything I can think of. It's now to the point that if I even plug it into the computer, it locks up the entire system. I'm just without answers, especially since every other combination works... it's just specifically that monitor running in Windows.