TV pc gaming

Solution
I see you're worried about the "playing on a TV" part. Honestly, there is 0 difference for a PC to run a game on a TV or a gaming monitor - the only difference between these two is the input-lag, which means, a gaming monitor will have something like a 1ms inpug lag delay, and the TV will have ~10-25ms delay. That's really the only difference. Unless you're used to very fast paced shooters with 100+ frames per second at least, you should see no difference. I personally enjoy TV much more than a regular monitor, because TV has much brighter and better colors.

Now the technical side :)
+some additional info:
GTX1050Ti is that real mid range GPU.
GTX1060 is considered to be the upper mid range of GPUS.
Talking about maxed out settings on...

ThomasKK

Reputable
May 1, 2016
What is the resolution of your TV?
What is the framerate you're aiming at?
What PC parts you currently own?
What kind of games are you going to play and at what settings?

Dude, give us some information before asking for help.

From what you've told, i can say none - you dont need a GPU to run that display. CPUs of current market have decent enough integrated graphics to run huge displays.

Apr 24, 2018

Apr 24, 2018
I'm really sorry,it's my first time getting into pc gaming. The tower I want to build is going to be for one SINGLE game called Planetside 2 and nothing else but I hear on pc there are lots of different settings unlike the PlayStation version and I want it to run as best as possible. IV learned from the community and Devs that the way planetside is made, it's mostly CPU heavy and can get away with a "normal" GPU if I was playing on a monitor. This is where I'm stuck. I want to hide the tower behind my TV in living room (like a console sort of) and play on my TV from the couch.
The TV is 2016 model LG55UF770V. It does have HDMI port that says 4K@60Hz.Thanks for the help Loco

ThomasKK

Reputable
May 1, 2016
Dont be sorry, this is the purpose of this forum :)

I've received your message and i will try to enlighten you a bit.

Have in mind that i haven't tried <planetside 2> on my own, but i will try to make something up. Alright, first things first, if that's the only game you're going to play, we're going to check the needed PC requirements for that game.
Here is the link: https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/planetside-2/11448 (it's for 1080p)
Looks like it's a pretty old game, so it seems like you wont need a high end card to run it at 4K resolution (your TV has 2160p resolution).

A Little additional info about GPUs:
GTX1060 is the best for 1080p@60fps
GTX1070 is good for 1440p@60fps
GTX1080 and up is good for 4K displays

Since these gpus are benchmarked with the best graphic settings of the newest games of 2016-2018 and planetside 2 is a 2012 year game, my current guess would be to get a GTX1060 to run this game at 4K, but lets dig deeper.

A GTX1060 6GB would be 234% better than a recommended GPU for planetside 2 (GTX560). I think a GTX1060 will be good enough to push all these pixels at high settings and a higher framerate than a playstation. I think if you're aiming to the gaming experience similar to your Playstation (i mean a 24 or 30 fps cap on games), a GTX1060 3GB or 6GB should do the job. ^^all that was taking in consideration that the game will be running natively on 4K resolution (but also have in mind that you can always reduce it easily in the worst case scenario if the performance just doesnt feel good enough). If you're looking for the best possible performance and if your budget allows that, look at even better GPUs like a GTX1070 - it should be great for high/ultra settings at a constant high framerate.

Long story short: taking in consideration that planetside 2 is a pretty old game, an upper mid level GPU of the most recent generation should do the job at 4K resolution (talking about a GTX1060) - in the worst case scenario you will need to adjust the game settings depending on what you want - more frames per second or better graphics. And if you want to be sure to run a game at best possible settings and at constant 60fps, you should look into a stronger GPU lineup, which would be a GTX1070 (a high end one).

A few tips for the end:
After all, my recommendation would be using google and youtube. To be exact, when you have time, you can search for benchmarks and average performance of specific GPUs for the game you're interested in. As for youtube, look for gameplay videos that include your wanted resolution and a +- similar PC configuration that you're planning to get. Also, take a look at "mini ITX" PCs if you want your PC to be slim as an Xbox/Playstation. Hope you find something useful in my answer^^.

Apr 24, 2018
Mate all of it is extremely useful. I have seen the requirements before but it's the "playing on a TV" part where everyone else was stuck lol. I really appreciate everything mate. Like I said I'm not at all interested in playing in 4k, I'm perfectly happy with 1080. One thing, is the 1050 Ti totally useless to me then? Is that a definite No No???

ThomasKK

Reputable
May 1, 2016
I see you're worried about the "playing on a TV" part. Honestly, there is 0 difference for a PC to run a game on a TV or a gaming monitor - the only difference between these two is the input-lag, which means, a gaming monitor will have something like a 1ms inpug lag delay, and the TV will have ~10-25ms delay. That's really the only difference. Unless you're used to very fast paced shooters with 100+ frames per second at least, you should see no difference. I personally enjoy TV much more than a regular monitor, because TV has much brighter and better colors.

Now the technical side :)
+some additional info:
GTX1050Ti is that real mid range GPU.
GTX1060 is considered to be the upper mid range of GPUS.
Talking about maxed out settings on newest games: 1050Ti will get about 40-45fps average and a 1060 will get 55-60fps on average at 1080p resolution.

Now about a 1050Ti. Is it a no-no? No.
It depends on your decision. From what you've said, i understand there are 2 options:

1. Playing on a 4K resolution natively and seeing as many pixels as the TV can show you - i wouldn't go below a GTX1060 (i will explain a bit later).
2. Reducing in game resolution to 1080p (4 times lower). There will be no issues, because 1 pixel of 1080p is equal to 4 pixels of 4K. If you plan on playing with a controller while sitting on a couch, it's a very viable option. There isn't much of a difference in 1080p or 2160p while sitting at 5+ meters away from the screen. In this case i think even a GTX1050 (non-Ti) would suffice taking in consideration the game is 6 years old.

Also, another fun fact about Nvidia's GPUs. You might find this interesting: how Nvidia names their cards:
First number is the generation, second number is performance rating, "Ti" = improved version, but not as strong as the next in <performance number+1>. For example a GTX1050 is a 10th generation card with a strenght rating of 5 out of 8 (because there is no gtx1090).

You can also check "game-debate.com" for graphics cards - all GPUs are rated there in how they perform in a specific resolution. Here you can see (http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/index.php?gid=3669&graphics=GeForce%20GTX%201050%20Ti%204GB) a GTX1050Ti has a 1080p rating of 8.6 where 10 is maxed out settings at 60frames per second on latest AAA games. But it's 4k performance is rated only for 4.6/10. So that's why i recommended at least a GTX1060 if you decide to play at 4K. For comparison: (http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/index.php?gid=3540&graphics=GeForce%20GTX%201060) a GTX1060 has a 1080p rating 10/10 and 4K rating 5.9/10 for newest games. Add the age of the planetside 2 and the results should look promising at native 4K resolution of your TV.

In summary:
For playing at 4K natively - nothing less than a GTX1060.
For playing at 4K with in-game resolution reduced to 1080p (or resolution scale set from 100% to 50%, bacause 2160p * 50% = 1080p) - You should be fine with a GTX1050/1050Ti.

Damn, i wrote a whole article there, anyway, i hope i helped you out!

Solution
Apr 24, 2018

Apr 24, 2018

Latest posts