Question TV reports "no signal" from 2080ti after one week along with A2 MB code after CMOS reset

MJ6

Jun 4, 2019
My current set up is as follows:

Asus Rampage V Extreme/U3.1 (BIOS version 3701)
I7-5960x OC'd @ 4.5ghz
Corsair H100I GTX
Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4 3000 (XMP profile w/125bus)
Corsair HX850i PSU
Corsair LINK commander
EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW (connected via HDMI to LG C8 OLED)
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb SATA x 2(raid 0 configuration - bootable system disk)
Samsung 850 Pro 512gb SATA x 2 (raid 0 configuration - program/game installation)
WD Black 1tb x 2 (raid 0 configuration - additional storage)
Windows 10pro 64bit

So I've had this rig for going on four years now and it's run rock solid for the most part. Last week I upgraded from an EVGA Titan X to the EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW and have had no issues up until yesterday.
I decided to upgrade my case and AIO fans to some Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM's and NF-A14 iPPC's to keep the sound down but still keep everything relatively cool. Swapping out the fans was as easy as you'd expect, but after turning the beast back on I was met by the daunting message "no signal detected" on the TV.
Solutions I've tried so far:

• Recheck for loose connections to all hardware components including 8/4pin CPU, 24pin ATX, both 8pin PCI-E connectors (dedicated lines to each from the PSU), all SATA power and MB connections
  • Switching HDMI ports on the TV
  • Switching TV's
  • Swapping HDMI cables
  • Moving the graphics card to another available PCI-E 16x slot
  • Resetting CMOS
  • Pulling the CMOS battery for two hours
  • Taking it to a local PC repair shop
The A2 code popped up on the MB only after I reset CMOS which I'm assuming is because I can't enter BIOS (no onboard graphics) to reset SATA to a RAID configuration and the system doesn't currently see a bootable disk. When I took it to the local PC repair shop however when he hooked up to a monitor through and HDMI/VGA adapter it made it to the BIOS screen. After I took it back home and tried hooking it up to two separate TV's (I don't have a dedicated PC monitor) I was still met with the "no signal detected" message. Of note though, with the computer is turned off entirely the input selection for HDMI1 (the port that the PC is hooked up to) is greyed out on the TV. Once the PC is turn on HDMI1 becomes available again so it would look like it's getting some kind of signal letting it know that the connection is available, but it's still not getting a valid signal through.

I'm currently waiting on a new HDMI cord, a display port to HDMI converter cord, new CMOS battery (because what the hell), and am in the process of RMAing the card.
The question I'm hoping to confirm is if based on the symptoms and what I've tried, do you think it really is just the card and not something fubar'd with the MB?

TLDR: Upgraded graphics card, worked for a week. Installed new fans, no signal to TV. Tried a bunch of trouble shooting shit, hoping that it's just the card that's at fault.

Any insight or comments would be greatly appreciated as I'm obsessive with figuring this thing out.
Thanks in advance!

MJ6

Jun 4, 2019
Unfortunately I sent the old GPU to my brother-in-law as an upgrade last week. I do have an old GTS 8800 from a prior build, but lack the HDMI display adaptor unfortunately.
It does look like Amazon is going to send a replacement card however, so I'm hoping that a quick swap will correct it and get me up and running again.

Crazy how an A2 code could either be a drive error or a gpu error though. It's like a check engine light on your car that could mean either a borked transmission or simply that your blinker is out...:LOL:

MJ6

Jun 4, 2019
If there's one thing I hate it's searching for a technical problem that I'm having, finding out that someone else had the same issue, but then discovering that they "forgot" to update their thread with the answer after the issue was apparently fix.
Luckily, I'm not one of those people.

So I received both a new HDMI cable today as well as a Display Port -> HDMI adapter cable. I wasn't really expecting much being that I'd tried some older cables already, but lo and behold when I plugged the new Display Port -> HDMI cable in I suddenly had a signal. Great!
So the issue must have been the HDMI port right? Wrong. I then swapped in the new HDMI cable and voila, it had signal coming through that one too.
The only thing I can surmise is that the HDMI cable I had was fubar in some way, and the older ones I had lying around weren't up to spec.
I still do have the replacement card coming however (Amazon has already shipped and they can't cancel it now) so at least I'll have the ability to swap them around with different configurations/cables (just to make sure it's not a fluke) before I send one back.

Once again, TLDR version: New HDMI/Display Port Cables good, previous cable bad and old cables bad. Always have spare and up to spec replacements on hand when trouble shooting.

Reactions: Gmoney06ss