[SOLVED] Tv screen goes black for a second + lost audio

jaspar_77

Commendable
Dec 9, 2018
Hello everyone , around 3 years ago i bought my gaming pc. I decided to use my Samsung tv as a monitor and i noticed that sometimes the screen would go black and would lose audio also for a second. Lately i noticed that the screen is tearing when i play games or watch videos and once i saw artifacts while gaming , after that the game crashed. I did a restart and from then no more crashing or artifacts , only screen tearing and black screen + no audio. This happens many times (sometimes evey minute , other times 10 min )
Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
First of all take none of what I say as good advice. I don't know anymore than you but I can offer some tips.

Does your TV support 60fps? If not then use a tool like RivaTuner to set a permanent cap on fps. (Also make sure that if your TV does support 60fps that it is plugged into an HDMI port that enables that. I have had a tv where only 1 Port supported 60fps)

It is simple but check your cables. A loose cable could cause intermittent black screens (Although that doesn't make sense with the screen tearing) But I would still check it

If you have any drivers for this, make sure they're up to date. Also update GPU drivers.

Make sure that you're using a direct HDMI, No Cable Splitters. (I would try a new HDMI cable before any of...

bigbobsmith1968

Honorable
Sep 18, 2018
First of all take none of what I say as good advice. I don't know anymore than you but I can offer some tips.

Does your TV support 60fps? If not then use a tool like RivaTuner to set a permanent cap on fps. (Also make sure that if your TV does support 60fps that it is plugged into an HDMI port that enables that. I have had a tv where only 1 Port supported 60fps)

It is simple but check your cables. A loose cable could cause intermittent black screens (Although that doesn't make sense with the screen tearing) But I would still check it

If you have any drivers for this, make sure they're up to date. Also update GPU drivers.

Make sure that you're using a direct HDMI, No Cable Splitters. (I would try a new HDMI cable before any of these things.)

I hope I can help. If you have any more trouble please be sure to reply.

Solution

Gamerboy

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Hello everyone , around 3 years ago i bought my gaming pc. I decided to use my Samsung tv as a monitor and i noticed that sometimes the screen would go black and would lose audio also for a second. Lately i noticed that the screen is tearing when i play games or watch videos and once i saw artifacts while gaming , after that the game crashed. I did a restart and from then no more crashing or artifacts , only screen tearing and black screen + no audio. This happens many times (sometimes evey minute , other times 10 min )
Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks in advance!

I used to use a TV (not Samsung) as my monitor as well. I don't know what the actual issue was, but my screen would flash black intermittently as well. Sometimes it would happen constantly for 10 minutes, rendering the PC unusable and sometimes it wouldn't happen at all for days.

Then I bought a desk and started using a PC monitor. I haven't had any similar issues since.

Do you have a PC monitor you can plug into to see if the issues stop?