Question TV sound sucks - sound bar? Replace TV?

Mashuguna

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I have a 10 year old flat screen and the sound stinks - some shows are so muddied that we cannot understand the dialogue. The image is fine though. And the ancient Roku is dying.

I'm on a budget. Should I replace everything with a smart TV? Keep what I have and add a sound bar and new Roku? I am not sure where the cost of a new TV makes more sense that replacing parts.

Thanks for any advice.

I have a 10 year old flat screen and the sound stinks - some shows are so muddied that we cannot understand the dialogue. The image is fine though. And the ancient Roku is dying.

I'm on a budget. Should I replace everything with a smart TV? Keep what I have and add a sound bar and new Roku? I am not sure where the cost of a new TV makes more sense that replacing parts.

Thanks for any advice.

Used soundbar, if you like the screen TV and size. If not, now is a good time to talk yourself into replacing the TV. And still get the soundbar :)

Used is fine to get, just test it out. I just purchased an almost $300 Vizio with wireless sub and rear speakers for $80. A mile away from the WalMart I was shopping at. Popped open craigslist on my phone, saw what was out there, 4 hours later I had a better soundbar than the best they had in the store, for 1/3 the price.

This one sounded better to me than some of the higher end brands they had in the 2-300 range https://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-Sm...ZhpPGRG1Yoj10BjTWAa31Af6KLulwkDsaAhzOEALw_wcB
This is the one I got used for $80 https://www.vizio.com/audio/home-theater/sb3851d0.html

Before you embark on that journey: Apart from Roku, how you get TV programming - aerial? set-top box? There's a chance (check thread, widely reported) that sound from HDMI-connected Roku won't pass to external speakers connected over audio out (optical or analogue).

If your TV' picture is nice, why not invest in a AV receiver between sources and the TV (just as a monitor)?

Reactions: liamwhalley20