TV struck by lightening

Apr 17, 2018
My TV and satellite receiver were both struck by lightening. My satellite company replaced my receiver, but my tv is still not working. I am techy enough to fix this myself, so I took it apart to see if I would need to replace the main board or the power supply board. Neither one looks damaged. No burn marks or cracks. The capacitors all look good too. When I plug the TV in the power light just flashes red, which leads me to believe that it would be the power supply board, but I am not sure. Is there a way or some kind of device that I can use to test the boards to see which one is bad or if there is a bigger problem? If I need a new tv that is fine, but would like to save the money and just try to fix it myself. But I also do not want to spend $100 on boards when I don't know if they are bad. The lightening came in through the HDMI cable if this helps, I know this because my receiver would work with another tv if it was plugged in with the analog cables. The TV is an Emerson, model#LF501EM4 A. This is the second time this has happened, by the way. I asked our satellite company if there was something I could do to prevent this, he said no, that we were grounded correctly and it looks like we are just unlucky! Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
You are techy enough to take it apart and put it back together, but not techy enough to know how to diagnose which board is actually fried... Well that is probably like the most of us. Unless someone working on Emerson TVs wants to spill the beans, or is a service tech for Emerson TVs, the effort required to figure this out is probably far more expensive then buying a new TV.

Heck best buy has 4K TVs now for less than $300.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-43-class-42-5-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-roku-tv/5678701.p?skuId=5678701

Apr 17, 2018
Well, most of the research that I have read about this issue says that you should be able to tell which one is bad because they would be burnt or cracked. Which both boards are neither burnt or cracked, so this is why I am asking. I thought maybe someone out there has had the same issue and could offer some helpful advice. It wasn't hard or expensive to take the back of my tv off and check. I don't really want to spend $500 if I only have to spend $50. Plus, I don't mind fixing it myself.

Ralston18

Titan
Seems to now be a discontinued model.

Found one price via an old Walmart Black Friday sale ad - $269 US.

Very much in favor of trying to fix things and DIY in general.

However, most things are now made not to be repaired and you may have damage that is not visible via burnt or cracked components.

Hopefully you should not need to spend $500 for a replacement TV of similar size.

And two hits seems to be more than unlucky. Take a close look at your grounding connections. May look okay but be completely ineffective.