michaelmatarlo

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2012
Hello,

I am planning to buy this TV tuner- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116036.

I just built a new computer and all the parts are pretty up to date with the current technologies. I am dorming this year and wondering, could I just plug a coaxial cable into this TV tuner and it will work? I read somewhere that you need to have a "CableCard" ready tuner or else you won't be able to watch TV. Any responses or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250

If all you are receiving is Basic Cable or Free Over-The-Air (OTA) transmissions, then yes. That is the card you want to get. Just plugging the coaxial cable from the wall into this card and tuning for channels will get you live TV on your PC. You will not be able to view any encrypted channels the cable company may be transmitting.

The card that JackNaylorPE listed does require a cablecard from the cable provider in order to work. With a cablecard installed into this TV Tuner card, you would be able to view any channel subscribed to on your PC.

-Wolf sends