TV tunner cards and HDTV?

Raczyk

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Do TV tunner cards display HDTV? or do they convert the HD signal into something lower quality before it is displayed on the screen.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You have to get a TV-Tuner card with a digital tuner in order to get HDTV resolutions. Hauppauge makes one, but it's terribly expensive.

Even HDTV isn't normally using HDTV quality as most are on lower quality signal inputs.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Raczyk

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Would a HDTV signal look better on a LCD or CRT monitor? HDTV comes in 1280x720 progressive or 1920x1080 interlaced resolution, so I would assume that if it is an LCD it would need good interpolation feature if you want to view is in a full screen mode. Or will the image be resized to the particular HDTV resolution in a window mode? Also just out of curiosity does what resolution are DVDs played back at?
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by raczyk on 12/07/03 06:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, the problem is that most digital cable boxes, for example, use standard RCA or S-Video outputs, so any high resolution is lost in the transition. Anyway, digital tuner cards output true resolution. As far as I know DVDs are 720p.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, I'd think a CRT would be better because of the non-native resolution.

edwpang

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001
Yes, you are right in the first part, and that's because analog HDTV signal (720P or 1080i) need a lot system bandwidth(120MB/s for 1080i, compared with 20MB/s for 720x480i) to deal with. But current DVD player cannot handle 720p. The highest resolution is 480p. Philips, sony, toshiba and other big companies are currently working on DVD formats that can do 720p or even higher resolution(called HD-DVD). As for HDTV signal reception from Digital Tuner, it takes even less bandwidththan analog TV reception in terms of capture, since it comes in MPEG2 encoded format(maximum bitrate is 20Mbit/s for 1920x1080 MPEG2 compressed).

XP1900+
MSI KT3 Ultra 2(KT333)
512 MB Samsung PC2700
AIW 9700 PRO(Catalyst 3.8+DX9)
WD 80.0 GB @ 7200 RPM
LG 19"
LG 32x10x40x CDRW
Windows XP SP1
(Built: September 2002)

umala

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
Hi!

It is true that digital TV card is so expensive. I wonder if that card includes even the antenna. In thatc ase how about the advertised satellite TV card. Does it include satellite also (impossible) or just get signal from outdoor antenna.

BTW, I am looking for the way to have nice digital program on my PC. I can buy indoor satellite antenna that is used for digibox. Is there anyway I can inexpensively use this satellite antenna for my PC.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm not sure what a satellite TV card does, unless it's made to act as a DirectTV tuner or something. No, Digital TV cards don't include an antena, but as far as I know broadcast digital is on the same frequency range as analog.