tv/video adapter and internet problems

Just installed a webcam, worked fine. Rebooted after install etc everything
fine. Next time computer booted up, new hardware detected "Microsoft
TV/Video Adapter" which installed. Internet now no longer works, but pinging
IPs in DOS does. Suggests only a DNS problem.

I've had this problem before, last time managed to find something to do with
reregistering winsock or something (not totally sure) but I definately
remember having to make changes with Registry Editor.

Help very much appreciated.

HAGGIS

"ellonweb" <ellonweb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just installed a webcam, worked fine. Rebooted after install etc
> everything
> fine. Next time computer booted up, new hardware detected "Microsoft
> TV/Video Adapter" which installed. Internet now no longer works, but
> pinging
> IPs in DOS does. Suggests only a DNS problem.
>
> I've had this problem before, last time managed to find something to do
> with
> reregistering winsock or something (not totally sure) but I definately
> remember having to make changes with Registry Editor.
>
> Help very much appreciated.

try this

http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm

I'm afraid that didn't work, I'm looking for a way to remove and reinstall
Winsock2. I found some more information on that website as to how I can
remove Winsock, by deleting it's Registry entries but I've been unable to
reinstall Winsock

> I'm afraid that didn't work, I'm looking for a way to remove and reinstall
> Winsock2. I found some more information on that website as to how I can
> remove Winsock, by deleting it's Registry entries but I've been unable to
> reinstall Winsock
>
> "Haggis" wrote:
>

>> "ellonweb" <ellonweb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Just installed a webcam, worked fine. Rebooted after install etc
>> > everything
>> > fine. Next time computer booted up, new hardware detected "Microsoft
>> > TV/Video Adapter" which installed. Internet now no longer works, but
>> > pinging
>> > IPs in DOS does. Suggests only a DNS problem.
>> >
>> > I've had this problem before, last time managed to find something to do
>> > with
>> > reregistering winsock or something (not totally sure) but I definately
>> > remember having to make changes with Registry Editor.
>> >
>> > Help very much appreciated.
>>
>> try this
>>
>> http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm

that is what that file is supposed to fix (i've used it)

you can try going to control panel > network and removing all entries
(adapters , protocols ,clients) reboot and reinstall (network entries) ,
that may work for you

I've run across the same problem and just as you, can't find anything about
what it is, what's it for etc. etc. I have the same problem, using video-in
kills internet thru-put.

"ellonweb" <ellonweb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just installed a webcam, worked fine. Rebooted after install etc
everything
> fine. Next time computer booted up, new hardware detected "Microsoft
> TV/Video Adapter" which installed. Internet now no longer works, but
pinging
> IPs in DOS does. Suggests only a DNS problem.
>
> I've had this problem before, last time managed to find something to do
with
> reregistering winsock or something (not totally sure) but I definately
> remember having to make changes with Registry Editor.
>
> Help very much appreciated.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

PJP, do you think this is security protocol for 98SE and it is the same
reason why 98SE does not have cordless keyboards or cordless mice because of
security reasons or is it simply the lack of programming and complexity of
98SE or some other reason. <???>

"pjp" wrote:

> I've run across the same problem and just as you, can't find anything about
> what it is, what's it for etc. etc. I have the same problem, using video-in
> kills internet thru-put.
>
> "ellonweb" <ellonweb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Just installed a webcam, worked fine. Rebooted after install etc
> everything
> > fine. Next time computer booted up, new hardware detected "Microsoft
> > TV/Video Adapter" which installed. Internet now no longer works, but
> pinging
> > IPs in DOS does. Suggests only a DNS problem.
> >
> > I've had this problem before, last time managed to find something to do
> with
> > reregistering winsock or something (not totally sure) but I definately
> > remember having to make changes with Registry Editor.
> >
> > Help very much appreciated.

I have no idea. Doubt it has anything to do with wireless anything. Seems
more like it inserts itself into the tcp/ip "chain" somehow. All MS says
about it refers to XP and how it disappears upon reboot. Well that doesn't
happen under 98SE, e.g. it remains. Also manually removing it from Network
Components doesn't "cure" whatever screw-up it causes.

Just pisses me off MS has so little to say about it. Can't even find out
what it's "supposed" to do!

One of my pet hates about Windows, e.g. install something and find more than
JUST that got installed. Can't trust it with 3rd party software as much as
you can't trust it with MS's own software. One of the big reasons I seldom
and then very reluctantly use Windows Update.