TV Wonder VE is it any good?

Jarablue

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am thinking about buying this card it is 49.99 at best buy. All I really want to do with it is watch tv off of my PC. Will this do the job?

In the immortal word's of Bob Marley, "Let's get together and feel alllright..."

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Short answer: yup! :)

I have a TV Wonder, bought it last year, not sure about VE part, you might want to check what's that...

I had some trouble initially installing it, but their website provided adequate workaround (I think it was conflicting IRQs...) Funny thing is, I reformated my computer several times since, and never had the same trouble again... must have been some other program/piece of hardware that's been causing the glitch...
anyhoo, right now you're probably getting the newer version of drivers which don't have the problem in the first place (they sent me the CD with new software, I just never bothered:)

I can watch TV in a little window or full screen, even set it as my desktop background (awesomely cool!)
Capture still pictures or movies, capture closed-captions to a text file etc...
Just make sure you have a good primary Video card -- I have only a 1MB 2d card, and I can't run TV at more than 640x480 full resolution -- just isn't enough RAM for more...

all in all, I've found it a good, reliable card:)

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you're right, tv doesn't broadcast nearly at 640x480, but the TV card is able to expand it very very nicely. I actually have much better picture on my Computer than on my TV:)

and resolution isn't (shouldn't be) limited by the TV card, but rather by the video card you already have... I'm assuming you have more than 1MB though, unless your computer is 3-4 years old...

Jarablue

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well I found the answer it says it can go to full screen mode or and varying resolutions up to 640x480. What I want to know is I have my desktop at 1280x1024 so if I go full screen will that make the picture that resolution? Or will it be 640x480?

In the immortal word's of Bob Marley, "Let's get together and feel alllright..."

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I took a look at website...
It seems all that with VE all the difference between yours and mine is that you don't get the stereo sound (I don't know if that bothers you or not... if you have good sound system, it may tick you off not to get the best possible sound...), and you can't export in all the formats (again don't know if its relevant)

Personal opinion? This card will give you easy, cheap, hassle-free TV on your computer:)
(of course, there are always exceptions, but you just have to be hope you personally won't be one:)

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
can't tell you... I can't go to more than 640x480 with mine, but that's restriction of my 2D card's low memory, so I can't find out whether the TV Wonder would go higher. I THINK it would, but I can't guarantee it to you:(

Jarablue

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah I didn't want anything fancy and for 50 bux I think this will cut it. Thanks for you help I appreciated it!

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
good luck! :)
last note: I think 640x480 is a limit for the Windowed TV, when you go full screen it really takes full screen, you don't see your taskbar or the borders, and I *think* then it goes to whatever your resolution is, as long as you have enough Video RAM...

let us know how it goes:)

Jarablue

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
P3 550@733 Voodoo5 5500(pity me) and 256 megs of Crucial ram. I am sure I will get a good picture. Now I just have to go out and buy it. Thanks!

Jarablue

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well I went out and got it paid 49.99 with 10.00 mail in rebate making it 39.00. I have to say that I am quite impressed. Installaion went without a hitch and I was watching TV in minutes. For 39 bux this card is a great buy. I have been tinkering with the VCR video capture and so far it has been working nicely. And for me all I really wanted to do is watch TV I would reccomend this card to anyone. Thanks for the help Kodiak!

G

I just bought the ATI TV-Wonder VE. I have been trying to get a console system to work on my secondary computer. The problem is that I can't get video on the game past the first frame. ATI FAQ actually dewscribes this problem, but maddingly passes the blame off to Nvidia, saying that it is a problem with the TNT/TNT2 overlay. Their "solution" is to use driver 2.08 or lower. I'm nit really willing to do that as it would kill my gaming performance on that system. Does anyone know another workaround for this problem?

P.S. My primary system is running a GeForce 2 MX. Would this card have the same problem because it uses the same Nvidia driver? Or is it merely a problem of the TNT2 chipset?

Jarablue

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am using my Playtstion2 on it fine. Seems to me that the quality isn't as good as on a TV. It is wierd because you would think that the display being on a monitor would be better then that on a TV. Also I am quite hungover writing this post. Was in Boston this weekend for St Pats and got thouroughly(spelling) toasted. Happy belated St Pats everyone!

G

I have the TV Wonder (non-VE) and LOVE IT! The early drivers and software were buggy but the new stuff (v3) works very well. I haven't tried video capture/edit yet but the TV portion is excellent. Got it for $50 used off eBay.

Latest posts