Twitter Grapples With Harassment By Expanding Mute Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Muting is fine since it's done by the users themselves and only affects what the user themselves sees.

This update is part of a broader attempt by Twitter to grapple with some of its most toxic users. The company also said that it has made it easier for users to report abusive tweets, retrained its support staff to help them recognize harassment, and improved the internal tools used to respond to these complaints. All together, these changes represent Twitter's continued efforts to make its platform seem more welcoming to users who fear harassment.
Some of twitter's other moves to ban people selectively? Often suspect. They'll ban one user for "offensive behavior" while they let others slide. Complete lack of transparency and consistency, different metrics for different users. Justice is not blind, by any stretch. They're a private firm so they can do what they want. Even so, I can't help but think the Internet is gradually getting replaced by the Coddlenet. A lot of people seem to want a safe space and a binky. Whoops, was that offensive?

Well, I pretty much think that "If you believe twitter is oppressive, then just dont use it". I don't think it's part of a big movement towards censoring the internet. And it is clear that most people would rather have their "safe space" (tumblr?) than freedom of expression, so I think it's logical (as a business model) to offer just that.

I would be worried if there was amovement towards shutting down 'total freedom of expression' sites, but so far we still have the choice.

HaB1971

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016
Steve Shives is going to love this... if his block bot has not already blocked you he can add the word 'disagree' to the mute filter and continue his echo chamber... This system will be abused and people muted for nothing more that stated opinion or even facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.