Question Two 16gig Ram sticks, but pc is only reading 8gigs

Jun 8, 2022
I do apologize as I am not super savy, so if there is needed information to help address my issue, please let me know and I will do my best to provide.

My Motherboard : B365 ds3h WiFi
BIOS version : F1
DIMMs : 2 x 16GB

I have desktop that came with two sticks of 16gig RAM (DDR4) each and it was working fine and showed that it had 32gigs installed.
A couple months ago I took my computer in to a shop (unrelated issue, SSD failed and was replaced), but since I got it back it had been a bit slower.
I just recently looked up my pc system information and noticed that it shows "Installed Physical Memory (RAM) : 8 GB.

I powered down my PC, opened it up and removed and reseated both sticks in the same configuration that they were in (slot 2 and 4). Both sticks, right back into the same slots they were in before.
Powered up, but still only reading 8 GB.

Powered down, swapped the sticks, but using the same slots (2 and 4).
Still reading 8 GB.

So I tried removing 1 stick while leaving the other (in slot 4). This came back with only have 4 GB installed. Tried again, but swapped the sticks (so I still only had 1 stick installed in slot 4).
Same outcome, only 4 GB installed.

I installed the 2nd stick back into slot 2. Now it's showing 8 GB installed again.
Booted up the BIOS and it too only shows 8 GB installed, but does register that both RAM sticks are showing up.

Not sure why I am only getting 1/4 of the RAM to show up as installed and not the full 32gigs.
Did one or both sticks go bad? Do I just need to purchase new RAM or is this some system issue that I need to resolve?

Just to confirm, I did check when I first purchased the pc that 32gigs of RAM was installed and showing as such, so I assume that everything is still compatible.
Both sticks are same make, size and model and both show as being 16gig sticks each, as far as I can tell, there doesn't appear to be bent or damaged pins on the RAM sticks.

I also checked that my "Max Memory" tick box is unchecked (it already was unchecked):
Start.. Run.. MSConfig
Boot Tab
Advanced Options
Double checked that "maximum memory" box is unchecked.

UPDATE :
Just in case anyone is following this and has the same issue, I have also updated my BIOS to the latest version (which ended up being a pain, but it's now updated).
Still showing 8GB of RAM.

My next step will be to move my DIMMs over to another PC to see if they still read 8GB on another PC or read correctly as 32GB.
My assumption is that if the DIMMs read correctly on another PC, then it must be an issue with my motherboard. If they still read as only 8GB, then the issue must be with the DIMMs.

FINAL UPDATE :
Took my DIMMS over to a buddies house, through them into his pc and they were still only showing 8GB. Seems to be that there is an issue with the DIMMs (or possibly that they were swapped out when I last took my computer into the shop).
Going to buy some new DIMMs.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
I do apologize as I am not super savy, so if there is needed information to help address my issue, please let me know and I will do my best to provide.

I have desktop that came with two sticks of 16gig RAM (DDR4) each and it was working fine and showed that it had 32gigs installed.
A couple months ago I took my computer in to a shop (unrelated issue, SSD failed and was replaced), but since I got it back it had been a bit slower.
I just recently looked up my pc system information and noticed that it shows "Installed Physical Memory (RAM) : 8 GB.

I powered down my PC, opened it up and removed and reseated both sticks in the same configuration that they were in (slot 2 and 4). Both sticks, right back into the same slots they were in before.
Powered up, but still only reading 8 GB.

Powered down, swapped the sticks, but using the same slots (2 and 4).
Still reading 8 GB.

So I tried removing 1 stick while leaving the other (in slot 4). This came back with only have 4 GB installed. Tried again, but swapped the sticks (so I still only had 1 stick installed in slot 4).
Same outcome, only 4 GB installed.

I installed the 2nd stick back into slot 2. Now it's showing 8 GB installed again.
Booted up the BIOS and it too only shows 8 GB installed, but does register that both RAM sticks are showing up.

Not sure why I am only getting 1/4 of the RAM to show up as installed and not the full 32gigs.
Did one or both sticks go bad? Do I just need to purchase new RAM or is this some system issue that I need to resolve?

Just to confirm, I did check when I first purchased the pc that 32gigs of RAM was installed and showing as such, so I assume that everything is still compatible.
Both sticks are same make, size and model and both show as being 16gig sticks each, as far as I can tell, there doesn't appear to be bent or damaged pins on the RAM sticks.

I also checked:
Start.. Run.. MSConfig
Boot Tab
Advanced Options
Double checked that "maximum memory" box is unchecked.
Sounds like the shop swapped your RAM for lower density memory.

Jun 8, 2022
Sounds like the shop swapped your RAM for lower density memory.

Possible. I don't recall the exact DIMMs I had installed, but the ones I have now, do show as 16GB each.
The only other possible thing I can think of is my BIOS is outdated and maybe causing issues (though I'm not sure why it recently decided to have issues, because before it was working and reading all 32GB of RAM).

Unfortunately I am unable to update my BIOS. Getting the updated file from the manufacturer (Gigabyte) and trying to flash it gives me an error of "omld mismatch." which apparently you would only get this error for two reasons.

1. You are trying to update with a file meant for a different motherboard (however I checked this 5 times and am 100% I am getting the correct file that matches).
  2. My PC is a pre-built pc (and the motherboard is possibly refurbished). Supposedly Gigabyte does not support refurbished / third party sold parts of theirs and will not allow the update to go through.
If it's a BIOS issue, it looks like I'm going to have to just get a new MB. Kind of a bummer.
If it's not a BIOS issue... then the only thing I can think to do is try buying new DIMMs that definitely match the other hardware and hope it works.

UPDATE :
Was finally able to update my BIOS to the latest version by creating a DOS BOOT thumb drive and manually installing the latest BIOS file (it was not fun).
Still showing only 8GB of RAM though...

Last edited: