[SOLVED] Two access points...

SPECOPS70

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
Hello all.

Right now I have my spectrum modem with their router. I added an access point with a nighthawk router I had laying around the house. Its on the other side of the house connected via a 75ft ethernet cable. Now we are moving to a new house. \

My question is am I able to have two access points instead of just the one? Would I set it up the same way i did the first access point? Any advice? Any vids that show this exact setup? I only find vids on how to do the setup i got.

just to be clear. keep the spectrum modem and router. add the current access point. then add a second access point (router). thx

thx

Solution
k thx.

so lets say I hardwire from the second or third access point...will my speeds be the same as if i was to hardwire directly to the spectrum router?
Yes (with an caveat). Your total bandwidth gets funneled through the single uplink point. IF you ran everything back to the spectrum router (or better yet a separate switch) then each AP would have 1GE to the rest of the LAN. Your total WAN bandwidth would still be limited to your paid for speed.

kanewolf

Titan
k thx.

so lets say I hardwire from the second or third access point...will my speeds be the same as if i was to hardwire directly to the spectrum router?
Yes (with an caveat). Your total bandwidth gets funneled through the single uplink point. IF you ran everything back to the spectrum router (or better yet a separate switch) then each AP would have 1GE to the rest of the LAN. Your total WAN bandwidth would still be limited to your paid for speed.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution
Yep, what he said. :D And this caveat is for any cascades switches where one is getting signal from another. Hence why a 'homerun' back to the originating switch is always best from a bandwidth perspective.