News Two AMD Zen 5 CPUs may receive a significant performance uplift — Ryzen 7 9700X and Ryzen 5 9600X rumored for 105W TDP option with next AGESA update

'Without PBO, we discovered that the Ryzen 7 9700X performs very similarly to its predecessor in most tasks, including multi-threaded performance. In our multi-threaded performance ranking, the 9700X was 7% faster than the 7700X. However, with PBO, that margin increased significantly to 22% in favor of the 9700X.'

I don't get this logic. I mean, it's great saying the 9700x with PBO is 22% ahead of it's previous gen model without PBO, and wow that's a big gap. But when PBO is enabled on the 7700x, what's the delta then? Back to 7%? It's not a fair comparison, and not enough to justify the mostly MEH Zen 5 CPU's and their maligned uplift from last gen.

Reactions: KyaraM

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
The article said:
For example, in Cinebench 2024, we discovered that the 9700X performed 13% faster in the multi-threaded benchmark when we enabled Precision Boost Overdrive.
Yes, but the only other examples which will demonstrate such gains are also heavily-threaded tasks. The effect on gaming and single-threaded tasks showed PBO to offer negligible benefits. Hence, most users probably won't notice a difference.

IMO, this would do nothing to address the bigger problems undermining Zen 5, but I suppose it'll be nice for some.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jagar123 and KyaraM

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
But when PBO is enabled on the 7700x, what's the delta then? Back to 7%?
No, certainly not. Enabling PBO on the 7700X only increased its Cinebench (MT) scores by a meager 2.5%!

cinebench-multi.png

One of Ryzen 9000's selling points is that it's much better at boosting, due to its intrinsic efficiency improvements.

It's not a fair comparison, and not enough to justify the mostly MEH Zen 5 CPU's and their maligned uplift from last gen.
In a way it's kind of fair, since they're using 9700X + PBO to approximate 9700X @ 105W, which is the same TDP the old 7700X had. Granted, the 9700X can use much more than 105 W under PBO, but going to 105 W probably gives you most of the gains to be had.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

hannibal

Distinguished
A 9700X with a higher TDP sounds like the kind of thing that AMD would call a 9800X and sell for more money.
Considering that they did have 3700x and 3800x... that sound more likely thing to happen!
Not all chips benefit from 105w... But if they bin chips that can actully get some benefits from higher wattage and sell those as 9800x... Then this rumour sounds more plausible!
All in all 105w does not make 9700x much faster. Couple of persents with huge ingrease in power usage!

hannibal

Distinguished
AMD should have released these as the 9600 and 9700. Direct upgrades for the respective 7600 and 7700 65W parts
Instead, they chose to shoot themselves in the foot.

AMD will release 9700 and 9600 later! When they collect enough chips that are not good enough for being 9700x and 9600x! There always are chips that are weaker, so we just have to wait maybe half a year and AMD will release those low cost low quality parts. Just like they have done with each and every release!

Hm... If they add an "ECO" mode of 105W and keep the current as 65W alongside, then it'll be fine. Changing the default behaviour to 105W I do not like. Specially since people complaining about the performance of these CPUs is not really interested in the MT aspect of them. AMD swinging and missing like a blind child again?

Also, wasn't this also rumoured before the launch even? Am I remembering wrong? Well, not that it matters, I guess.

Regards.

Reactions: Jagar123

DS426

Proper
May 15, 2024
AMD should have released these as the 9600 and 9700. Direct upgrades for the respective 7600 and 7700 65W parts
Instead, they chose to shoot themselves in the foot.
Greed entirely; moreoever, 9700X compares pretty closely to 7700 in performance in a lot of workloads and actually has similar performance-per-watt as well (actually worse in some cases, going against the "Zen 5 is SUPER efficient" marketing notion).

Folks, I want Zen 5 to be as awesome as AMD said it would be. So far -- at least with the 9600X and 9700X -- it's just not there. Zen 5 appears to be architected for bigger gains in professional and server/datacenter workloads; gaming is truly "meh" as Gamers Nexus and others have said (Hardware Unboxed probably not as kind, lol). GN actually shows how Zen 5 is boosting in comparison to Zen 4 counterparts, and generally it's lower, yet not with huge FPS-per-Watt gains.

I'm fine with saying that AMD knows there are issues (the delay illustrates this) and new AGESA will boost performance, BUT!: AMD actually changing the TDP on exisitng SKU's is really craptically as OEM's and SI's already have their cooling designs built out on these based on AMD's original guidance; in other words, it should be a thing that new AGESA "unlocks" but doesn't turn on by default. Interestingly, PBO has shown to run away on power consumption without significantly increasing performance in many gaming workloads, so I'm curious what else AMD is changing here to sort of raise the waterline on performance across the board without wrecking power efficiency.

My final take: maybe TSMC 4nm doesn't provide the gains that AMD really needed, i.e. once Zen 5 is produced on TSMC 3nm, it'll finally be what it should have been all along??? It's been about 2 years since Zen 4 came out, so I totally understand and agree with AMD releasing their next [actually new] CPU products now, but I just can't help but wonder how different Zen 5 will look in 2 months from now (new AGESA), in 1+ year from now (new node), etc. What else can be said than AMD is terrible at launches and marketing?

jokepoke69

Prominent
Oct 15, 2022
Maybe I am retarded but what's the point of these... you overclock the 9700X and it goes from 65W to 105 or even more. Why would you need an AGESA for this and also why would this magically add performance compared to 7700X at 105W? I doubt there would be a groundbreaking difference AMD claimed.

How is different power limit patch going to fix a literal refresh? (At least thats how it looks so far based on HU, GN reviews)

Idk am I crazy?

jokepoke69

Prominent
Oct 15, 2022
Zen 5 on TSMC 4nm is only good for Server/ Professional / NON-GAMING workloads so far.

Sad, but that's the reality of the situation.
For NON-GAMING workloads how? Based on HU video the uplift in common apps like Adobe, Blender etc. is minimal almost none. Unless decently cheaper than 7000 series it's waste of sand.

Last edited: