Two APs on the same channel... How far to keep them away?

Apr 10, 2018
Hi Folks. I'm doing a project where an access point will be in every single room (there is a reason for this). Now the question is, how far away to keep two of the same channels APs from each other to avoid co-channel interference, and hence entirely eliminate competition between them? I would like to know this in dBi. Obviously, if one station will "sense" another station signal at 60 dBi, then they will be competing. So how much dBi from the other AP will not trigger CSMA/CA? 85dBi? 90dBi? Do you have a reliable source on this? I have a good books, but they don't mention this.

Thank you.

Solution
If the AP detects another signal stronger than -85 then it will not attempt to transmit over it - APs take turns. If the other signal is below -85 then the AP will transmit, but the competing signal will reduce the SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) and thus the maximum data rates - you might only get QAM-16 instead of QAM-64 (for example).
Apr 10, 2018
Hi DeauteratedDog.

Thanks. I see that CWNA mentions the same -85dBm. But it says about the background noise. If it exceeds -85dBm, then it can degrade the transmission. But the problem is that two APs on the same channel will not consider each other as noise. They either compete or not. But I think you are right here, probably the manufacturer sets the CSMA/CA thresholds. So there is no right answer, I guess.

If the AP detects another signal stronger than -85 then it will not attempt to transmit over it - APs take turns. If the other signal is below -85 then the AP will transmit, but the competing signal will reduce the SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) and thus the maximum data rates - you might only get QAM-16 instead of QAM-64 (for example).

Solution