[SOLVED] Two Asus B550-Plus boards won't power on (PSU is confirmed working) ?

Jan 19, 2022
I'm building my first new PC in a few years. i am on my second Asus B550-Plus mobo. connecting to power supply (only) and shorting power switch pins does nothing. the RGB strip near the 20 pin block cycle colors. i have my old 990fx board and doing the same with 2 different power supplies (600w and 750w atx compatible ) works as expected in both cases. Asus support was 0 help. i figure i must be doing something stupid, Asus have been reliable in the past and having two of them being bad in two days is pretty horrible luck. Thanks in advance.

Solution
I'm building my first new PC in a few years. i am on my second Asus B550-Plus mobo. connecting to power supply (only) and shorting power switch pins does nothing. the RGB strip near the 20 pin block cycle colors. i have my old 990fx board and doing the same with 2 different power supplies (600w and 750w atx compatible ) works as expected in both cases. Asus support was 0 help. i figure i must be doing something stupid, Asus have been reliable in the past and having two of them being bad in two days is pretty horrible luck. Thanks in advance.
Suggest putting at least one memory stick, a CPU and a GPU in before declaring them 'dead'.
Jan 19, 2022
that is correct. i also removed the cmos battery for a while yesterday and cleared the cmos. i did have a memory stick installed for a minute per Asus but removed it when that didn't help. i wasn't surprised...

Suggest putting at least one memory stick, a CPU and a GPU in before declaring them 'dead'.

Reactions: Gambit1960
Solution
Feb 22, 2022

My husband is upgrading his PC and was starting to get flustered when it wouldn’t come on. I googled and it lead me here!! Thanks for the answer! Had no idea what I was saying lol but it made sense to him!
After trying it He also said it actually only needed the CPU to boot up.
He owes me big time now lol.