Question Two brand new fans make high pitch squeal/howling noise?

Baumber

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
I am currently working on replacing all of my case fans. At first I had a basic, non PWM fan as my rear exhaust fan.

As a temporary upgrade, I recently replaced it with an old radiator fan (Deepcool TF 120 s) and immediatly noticed a high pitch whine/whir/howl noise when ever the fan slightly ramped up in speed. I first thought it must just be an old fan that is starting to fail.

Fast forward to today, I received my new Arctic BioniX P120 ARGB and immediatly notice the noise is as loud or louder.

Any idea why two different fans, one new and one old, make the exact same high pitch noise when the fan rpms increase?

P.S. If I keep both fans at a consistent 50%+ fan speed, the noise goes away.

Baumber

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
I have not put it on the table though I have removed the side panel and stopped the fans on my top mounted radiator. Sadly, the noise stays the same. After doing some research, others have come across this issue on both the Arctic BioniX and the normal P fans.

Doesn't look like there is a way around it. I'm going to return them.

Any recommendations for RGB fans that are both quiet and have good performance in a airflow restricted case? Thinking either Be Quiet! light wings or Lian Li Uni

Edit: just pulled the fan out of the case and set it on the table. It creates the same noise.

Last edited:

MeO123

Commendable
Oct 28, 2019
I am using Corsair CO-9050071-WW LL120 120 mm cooler fans, one in the top one in the bottom, and they are working pretty quiet and good in my ATX case. BeQuiet are also good choice.