[SOLVED] Two chipset temperatures? One seems normal another always a bit high'ish?

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
View: https://imgur.com/oRcmq6j

Screenshot taken during idle status.

The top chipset parameter usually idles at 70 C once PC warms up and goes up to 79-81C under system load. The bottom one seems way more normal?
I have X570 Aorus Elite motherboard. BIOS was updated almost a year ago (Chipset always used to run about these temperatures. Maybe a bit cooler with old BIOS back in the day that made it's fan spit at 7k RPM by default).
PCH fan profile has been set to Balanced by default since newer BIOS versions have been installed, however just now I set it to Performance. Because I am trying to lower the temperatures (Also when I went to BIOS when I was changing the PCH profile the temperature that was shown to me was 59 C. So neither here nor there.)

Does the first number seem normal to you guys? What is the difference between the top chipset parameter and the bottom one? Which one tells me about what?

EDIT: After 30 mins of idling:
View: https://imgur.com/pzrP8x8
I've checked other posts on the internet. A lot of people have the same problem. One temperature reading is much higher than the other. Some people saying its because of stock thermal pad that was made to last forever, replacing that with custom paste lowered the temps quite a lot for them.
However, I personally would not want to mess with something that was designed to be this way?

Last edited:
Solution
kqVDRpn.jpg

the top one is the southbridge chipset, its the one under the fan that is under the gpu

on my PC its always hot, I just ignore it as after almost a year its been same temp. it depends on ambient, it varies by about 10c depending if its summer or winter, i seem to recall it was around 72 in summer for me.

its odd to me I can't see PCH fan speed now, I used to see it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
kqVDRpn.jpg

the top one is the southbridge chipset, its the one under the fan that is under the gpu

on my PC its always hot, I just ignore it as after almost a year its been same temp. it depends on ambient, it varies by about 10c depending if its summer or winter, i seem to recall it was around 72 in summer for me.

its odd to me I can't see PCH fan speed now, I used to see it.

Last edited:
Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
i might be wrong, i thought one was a sensor near northbridge but they both near or in the PCH

The first value under the dedicated chipset sensor comes straight from the chipset internal sensor. The other one, is most probably temperature sampled by some diode placed close to the chipset.
So I'd say the first one is the most reliable.

Last edited: