[SOLVED] Two computers, connected via LAN in same way, two very different speeds, pulling my hair out as to why.

Aug 26, 2020
Hello,

I have two computers (#1 and #2 below) connected to the same switch, and one consistently sees over 800Mbps download speeds via Ookla speed test, the other sees only 300-400Mbps. All specs below.

I have done all of the adjustments on widows 10 suggested (set to max duplex speed, turn off autotuning, etc.).

The POE to the house splits into two coax cables, one that heads for the modem and is split again between the modem and a MoCA adapter.
The modem is connected by Ethernet cable (all ethernet cables CAT 5e) to the router, and the router to one of the 8 port switches. One ethernet cable off of this switch heads to another switch (5 port) from which only computers 1 and 2 are attached, nothing else. I can not figure out why they would see different speeds.

Further, though from a different branch, computer #3 comes from the other branch off the POE, which connects to a MoCA adapter, with the ethernet cable connected to the other 5 port switch from which the computer is connected. It also only sees 300-400Mbps download speeds, but again, is not connected exactly the same as computer 1 and 2 are.

Appreciate any guidance you can give. Thanks so much! Scott

SPECS
• Provide us with the make and model of your router
o Orbi RBR20 V2.5.1.16 (speed test via orbi interface 777Mbps/41Mbps) connected to modem
o Orbi RBS20 satellite hardwired via MoCA (Actonic MoCA 2.0 (ECB62002S02) of off 8 port switch (see below)
• Provide us with the make and model of your modem
o Hitron E31N2VI MTA/Modem from Spectrum, 1 gig plan
• Provide us with the exact specifications of your PC (if applicable) including:
• Make and model of motherboard
o 1. Rog Strix 8365-F Gaming w/Intel I7 9700 K
o 2. ASUS Prime B250M-A w/Intel G4500 at 3.5 GHz 8GB Ram
o 3. MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI (MS-7B93) w/AMD Ryzen 9 3900 12-core 3.1 GHZ, 32 GB Ram
• Make and model of power supply
o 1. Antec – TruePower Classic 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply
o 2. Antec – TruePower Classic 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply
o 3. Seasonic focus
• Make and model of USB or PCI Wifi adapter
o NA
• Operating system and driver version
o Windows 10 V1909 OS 18363.1016 64 bit all 3 computers
• You will also need to post the exact number of devices connected to your router (this includes tablets, smart phones, laptops, and desktop PCs) as some routers can only handle a specific number of devices at a time.
o Wired = 12 (including Orbi Satellite (RBS20), not all on at same time)
o Wireless = 18 (including another orbi satellite (RBW30), not all on at the same time)
• Post any and all error messages you are getting from your ISP or Windows itself
o None
WIRED LAN
• Make and model of switches and how many ports are on each switch
o 2x 8 port TP-Link TL-SG108
o 2x 5 port TP-Link TL-SG105
• How many PCs and laptops are connected to the network
o Wired
- 4 PCs
- 1 laptop
o Wireless
- Several laptops, no more than 5 at a time, usually 2 or 3
• Whether or not a NAS (Network Attached Storage) or regular server is connected to the network
o Don’t think so
• Whether or not a Wifi router is connected to the network and/or switch
o To router as above
• If you are using the internal LAN connection on your motherboard, a USB dongle, or external PCI card
o Internal LAN on all

Solution
Remving the AMD software from computer 3 did not help. Have not tried on computer #2 or iperf yet.
I must agree with the above guru. It is a software issue not a hardware issue. Firstly why are you running 1909 update you should be running 2004 update. Secondly download and install Ethernet drivers manually and not what Windows 10 installs on both PC's. You can grab the drivers from your motherboard support page. Then give her another whirl and let me know. 🖐🏽🤷🏽‍♂️🙏🏽👨🏽‍🦲🙉
Check that no so called gamer network software is installed. asus bundles this with some motherboards. You should be able to just uninstall it.

You can use a old program called IPERF to check speed between computers in your house. The 2 on the same switch should always show 900+mbps in both directions.

This test is mostly to see if it is a driver issue. It really can't be your network since both pc follow the same path to the internet. It would have to be something more at a application level. There were people reporting issues with a feature called autotuning that microsoft messed up in a patch. I forget the details.

Reactions: sirwin71

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Remving the AMD software from computer 3 did not help. Have not tried on computer #2 or iperf yet.
I must agree with the above guru. It is a software issue not a hardware issue. Firstly why are you running 1909 update you should be running 2004 update. Secondly download and install Ethernet drivers manually and not what Windows 10 installs on both PC's. You can grab the drivers from your motherboard support page. Then give her another whirl and let me know. 🖐🏽🤷🏽‍♂️🙏🏽👨🏽‍🦲🙉

Reactions: sirwin71
Solution
Aug 26, 2020
Figured out there was an update issue, now fixed, drivers dowloaded from AMD, still no change for computer 3. Have not tried with computer 2, which is the one that really doesn't make sense, yet. Thanks!

Aug 26, 2020
Ok, so all 3 computers up to date, running windows 2004, drivers directly from motherboard sites.
Windows autotuning off, duplex set to 1 Gbps Full

Just by running iperf3, computer 2's download speeds improved to the 500s, but that is it. No changet on computer 3.

Computer 1 acted as the internal server. Also tested all 3 with public servers.

Results:

Computer 1 :
Ookla: 948/41
iperf3 public server bouygues.testdebit.info: 1.5 MBytes/Bandwidth 12.6Mbit; 13.4MBytes/11.2 Mbits

Computer2 (comes off same gigabyte switch as computer 1, same connectivity to router):
Ookla: 540/31
iperf3 to computer 1: all transfers 949 Mbits
Iperf3 to public server bouygues.testdebit.info: 3.11-4.19 Mbits

Computer 3 (off different branch of splitter)
Ookla: 465/41
iperf3 to computer 1: 129 Mbits
iperf3 to iperf.he.net 17.6 Mbits

Next steps if any, for sure computer 3 should be able to get what computer 1 does. Thanks!

Aug 26, 2020
Thanks. See my latest above, if you don't mind.