Question Two Computers, Toggle One Mouse & One Keyboard Dual Monitors ?

Retribution

Honorable
Jun 24, 2016
Hi Everyone,

There's something I want to try and do and I want to know if it's possible and how to do it:

What I Want To Do

1. Merge my two separate work stations into station for working/gaming
  2. Toggle peripherals between two computers depending on if I am working or not the other computer would be off
    Work Laptop - when I am working I can switch to use one set of keyboard & mouse that I use for gaming/personal
    Gaming Desktop - when I am not working I can use the same keyboard & mouse. That way I won't have to plug and unplug my mouse and keyboard to the desktop/laptop each time I am done work/gaming, and also won't have to need to always toggle hdmi settings on my monitors to detect that my laptop/desktop is on unless its already build into my monitors.
  3. If possible to also toggle personal microphone/webcam in addition to my keyboard & mouse
Equipment I currently use:

Work Setup
  • Dell Laptop
  • Dell Dock Station to plug into work laptop to project it onto two monitors (This can stay so the laptop can boot up both my personal monitors and extend the display when my personal computer is turned off/on)
  • Two Monitors (I want to use my own monitors from personal setup)
  • Dell Keyboard & Mouse (I want to use my own peripherals)
Personal/Gaming Setup
  • Two Monitors
    • AORUS CV27Q 27"
    • GIGABYTE M27Q 27"
  • Desktop
  • Webcam
  • Microphone
  • Custom Keyboard & Gaming Mouse
Please give me a dummy guide on how to do what I want to do & buy if its possible,

I'm currently looking at this but I think its only for peripherals but not the monitors unless its built into auto detect whether of my work laptop is on or personal desktop

UGREEN USB Switch Selector 2 Computers Sharing 4 USB Devices USB 2.0 Peripheral Switcher Box Hub for Mouse, Keyboard, Scanner, Printer, PCs with One-Button Swapping and 2 Pack USB A to A Cable
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01MXXQKGM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AKXVBT49GGF3B&psc=1

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited:
I recommend looking into Logitech mx series, they have switching and multi-device support baked in.
I would not trust software based switching if you have Windows device and others in the mix, as it tends to steal the focus every time you have pop-up's.
About mic and headphones, it can be solved on BT level if you don't mind wireless quality and its downsides. It's basically this feature: https://phiaton.com/blogs/audio/bluetooth-multipoint-pairing-what-is-it-and-how-does-it-work
and a lot of devices already support it, its like 5.0BT spec, but make sure your device is 5.2BT as I find lower versions, annoying or flawed, if your headphones are not top shelf. It would be good if your headphones would state that feature in specs as well.

I am lazy, and I solved my setup with dock station that is not "switchable" but I just disconnect a single USB-C cable from one machine to the other (like 15 cm away) and 2 screens, headphones, keyboard & mouse everything goes with me.
if you are fine with doing that by pulling a cable, you can find a lot more "options" that can solve your problem. if you want mine, its Dell WD15 USB-C that I bought used from some corporate old hardware for 50$

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS