Two connections 1 pc?

Lickedeyes

Commendable
Nov 9, 2016
I have two available internet sources - one of which is fast but goes out occasionally while the other is reliable but slow. Basically my question is, am I able to get a network card and have both available internets to switch from (when one goes out?) And how should I do it, I already have a gigabit port in my z170a so, should I just buy a single port network card? Or should I get a two port card so I can have both connections running into the same place?

Solution
You can have multiple ethernet NICs, but you may have to manually logically disable the one not currently using.

There was a post not long ago related, asking whether Windows automatically picks the faster path, and if that's the case solves first part of your problem. Second part is, when faster path fails, will Windows automatically recognize this and simply make use of the 2nd NIC. I don't know to either but if no or no, then paragraph 1.

Lickedeyes

Commendable
Nov 9, 2016
I'm not trying to link them or anything, and they each have their own individual router. All I am trying to do is have the "availability " of multiple connections to switch to in case one would go out, I just didnt know if I could plug in 2 seperate internet cords into 1 computer, I didnt know what would happen (and didnt want to go waste money on it)

You can have multiple ethernet NICs, but you may have to manually logically disable the one not currently using.

There was a post not long ago related, asking whether Windows automatically picks the faster path, and if that's the case solves first part of your problem. Second part is, when faster path fails, will Windows automatically recognize this and simply make use of the 2nd NIC. I don't know to either but if no or no, then paragraph 1.

Solution

Lickedeyes

Commendable
Nov 9, 2016
Nonetheless - I am still stuck with a small problem. I have a gigabit port in my mobo.
Can I get a single slot network card, and use the port out of my mobo with the network card?
Or will I have to get a dual slot network card to run both ports to?

U can mix and match. Windows/network don't care whether NIC is on Mobo or expansion card don't matter nary bit.

Another thing comes to mind. If you have both NIC enabled, how does Windows deal with TWO GATEWAYS? Gateway=Door to the Internet. Now we are splitting hair. Dude, just add another port in there, not expensive and tell us what u find!