Two copies of windows installed. How to get rid of one?

spenceryuan

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
I just built my computer a few days ago. I installed a 32 bit version of windows on my HDD and realized i needed a 64 bit. So I bought a 64 GB SSD and installed the 64 bit Windows 7 on there.

When I boot up it asks me which windows I want to boot from. So I went into my HDD and formatted the whole thing, hoping that it would solve the problem. It hasn't and it still asks me which windows I want to move from, and when I pick the HDD version now it crashes, but the SSD boot is fine.

How do I get it so it doesnt ask me which version of windows I want to boot from and will just boot from the SSD?

Thanks,
Spencer

Solution
Hi. Type MSCONFIG in the run command and click the boot tab. Delete the O/S you dont want. Make sure it is the correct one though.

4745454b

Titan
Yeah, a shame you got it because that only removes the second copy from the boot menu, not the drive. As long as he doesn't mind the second copy using up harddrive space your idea will work fine.

Format the partition that the second copy is on? I've had issue deleting older copies of windows from within a second copy of windows so either format or use a linux live disk do delete the folders.

mibix19

Distinguished
spenceryuan says he has already formatted his HDD. This it would seem did not delete the ini file from the boot menu which is why he still had to select. Deleting the HDD path from the boot menu leaves his SSD drive as the default installation (and the only one as he formatted C:\ ) and therefore gets rid of the problem of searching for a windows install that is not there

ahaimour1224

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013

I currently use 1 drive, that is what sent me running in circles

ahaimour1224

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013

thanks did it, but will the deleted copy still take up my ssd space, or is it all gone

yas33n

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012

Hey ive just bought an ssd and installed windows on it and i want to get rid of the old windows. I've tried dleting it wont delete i tired ur msconfig way and it comes up with " system configuration cannot save the original boot configuration for later remonstration. boot changes will be reverted.
the system cannot find the path specified"

What to do?

Chitos

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014

You need to install again the OS with this configuration :

Boot your pc from Windows CD

On the Install Windows menu, click Install now.

On the Please read the license terms page, if you accept the license terms, click I accept the license terms.

On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Custom

Delete all partitions then Format

Make new partitions or don't as u wish, then install windows on primary

TRENDING THREADS