two cpu build, one cpu runs at full and the other barely anything. (while gaming)

jordank_boro

Commendable
Dec 26, 2018
hey everyone the question i have is as stated above. please read below for my specs.
basically i have a server mobo running two xeon cpu's. the cpu's are recognized and working amazing with 8 cores and 16 vitrual cores total. or 4 cores and 8 virtual cores each. my question is this. is there a way to get the load to distribute evenly across both cpu's instead of loading one fully and then moving to the next? or is this a programming thing in windows? the fan on the cpu is loud and the temps are around 90, and i know running a cpu that hot constantly can eventually degrade it. this system is amazing and im upgrading my cpu's to 6 and 12 virtual cores for a total of 12 and 24 LOL! i found the cpu's on alibaba for like 25 bucks each (even bigger LOL). so im super happy with everything minus the heat of the one processor and the noise of the fan lol. this thing is
LOUD! i swear its louder than my old hd 7970 oc, and that thing was like a jet engine hahaha.

pc specs:
mobo- asus z8na-d6(c)
cpu- 2x intel xeon e5620
ram- 32gb ddr3 (2133 mhz)
graphics card- gigabyte r9 280x oc
psu- seasonic 850w gold
hard drive- hdd 1tb

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
Yes, it is possible, but you will have to change it for each individual application. If you go into the task manager under the processes tab, right click on an application and select "go to details". Then choose "set affinity" and select which cores you want to use for that application. The only problem is that I don't think it is possible to save the settings. Once you restart, it will go back to default. If you want them to save you will have to download extra software like Process Lasso.

jordank_boro

Commendable
Dec 26, 2018
thanks for the reply guys! i've noticed some games do take advantage of the dual cpu system and the loads even out to about 20 percent on most cores with a few at around 70 which i assume are the cores that are running windows and other background programs. today i noticed that one of my cpu's is running much hotter than the other. like 25 degrees hotter. the cpu setup is a little weird and they put them pretty close together on the board so the one intake fan for one is right next to the other cpu's heat sink so it's just drawing in hot air, which i figured is why it is hotter. but im getting really high temps like hitting 90 sometimes. and the other cpu is only at around 40 to 50. is this due to the fan placement. or maybe i should try to reseat the cpu's?? i stress tested them and with all cores running with a 100 percent load one cpu was at 90 degrees and the other was at around 50 which seems so wrong. but i've never ran a workstation rig before with two cpu's so i dont know if this is normal due to placement or if this is majorly off. i also think this is why i thought the cpu's were loading differently. but i see now that with both at full loads one just runs so much hotter than the other.

jordank_boro

Commendable
Dec 26, 2018
ok, so i disabled superfetch and it put my cpu usage from 20 percent at idle to 2 percent haha. and now the cores are running closer to the same temps. one core on one processor was loaded at 50 percent constantly. this was due to superfetch service. i disabled that and now everything is working great. the temps at idle are now 35 on one cpu and 45 on the other. this seems a lot more reasonable considering that like i stated before the intake fan for the hotter cpu is right next to the other cpu's heat sink. so its just drawing warmer air i believe. if anyone has anything to add it would be much appreciated. also i have hear that more titles are adding multiple cpu rigs to their updates. since the thread ripper cpus have so many cores and virtual cores they are making games distribute more even across the cores now. my setup still has a low mhz rating on my cpu's so i'll be swapping them out for the x5675's which are dirt cheap on ebay right now at only 45 dollars a cpu. i'll be running a 12 core 24 virtual core system at 3.2 mhz. still a bit low on the mhz side but the added cores should help with this a bit. for gaming i know it's not ideal but it's still great. and for video editing its gonna be one swift system i think =).