Two CPU's dead - power supply the cause?

Sep 30, 2018
Computer one day randomly shut down and wouldn't reboot. The power would come on, but nothing would display on the monitor (no signal). Changed GPU's (Mobo didn't have a usable video output), etc. and nothing worked. Bought a new Mobo and the problem was the same. Replaced the CPU, it booted, and got it running normally. Used it for a few weeks, then had a crash dump BSOD, and the same problem happened - powers on, but monitor said no signal. The new Mobo had a proper VGA output, which was being used at this time. I switched to the GPU's HDMI out, and it had signal. Chose to start Windows normally, it goes blank (no signal) after the Windows 7 loading screen. Hard reset, booted in Safe Mode, and Windows loads fine. Restarted and tried to boot normally, same issue happened. I decided to check the BIOS, but after selecting a category and pressing Enter, the actual BIOS screen froze and became non-responsive. I attempted this a couple of times, and then the computer wouldn't boot at all (just like the first time).

I tried removing different components, but the outcome thus far as been the same. Put the old Mobo back in with the new CPU - no change.

My current theory is somehow the Power Supply Unit is frying the CPU, but I've never had a problem like this before, so I don't know. All other components seemingly work fine.

Any thoughts?

Solution
It's weird that your PSUs keep dying on you. That's a pretty old build indeed, you should think about upgrading whenever you have the opportunity.

In the meantime, since you seem to have a recurring issue with PSUs. I would hold off getting expensive 700W+ PSUs. Chances are you won't need more than 500w.

Type PSU Calculator on Google and you will find online calculators by Cooler Master and other PSU manufacturers that will allow you to determine the right wattage for you, and then just go slightly over. Could help you save a few bucks and put that in a jar contributing to a future build :)

Best of luck!
Sep 30, 2018

Thanks for the input. Guess that's the next item on the checklist!

Sep 30, 2018
It's an older rig that I've added multiple upgrades to over the years, so I don't recall every component off the top of my head. The new CPU that died is a FX-8350, GPU is a R9 285. It originally had some lower specs and a 700 watt PSU, but that PSU died a few years ago and I replaced it with the Thermaltake 750 watt PSU that's currently in it (and possibly causing these issues).

It's weird that your PSUs keep dying on you. That's a pretty old build indeed, you should think about upgrading whenever you have the opportunity.

In the meantime, since you seem to have a recurring issue with PSUs. I would hold off getting expensive 700W+ PSUs. Chances are you won't need more than 500w.

Type PSU Calculator on Google and you will find online calculators by Cooler Master and other PSU manufacturers that will allow you to determine the right wattage for you, and then just go slightly over. Could help you save a few bucks and put that in a jar contributing to a future build :)

Best of luck!

Solution
Sep 30, 2018
Appreciate it. I actually am running a newer rig (i7, GTX 1060, etc.). The rig in question is my previous PC that I gave to a family member.

Thanks for the tip about the calculator. I'll keep that in mind.