Question Two different GeForce RTX 2080 Ti graphics cards are running at very different (broken?) benchmarks on the same hardware!

Jul 13, 2019
Please comment and provide insight as you see fit, I'm a super amateur needing assistance!

Two different GeForce RTX 2080 Ti graphics cards are running at very different (broken?) benchmark and real time capacities on the same machine. I am a Rhino - V-ray user, trying to get my SFF machine optimized and help my students understand the difference between laptops and desktop machines. (Running actual renderings with the two different cards are not even in a similar time frames with the exact files and settings. Approximately 5-6 X difference.)

I am using the Vray Benchmark to measure the speeds of GPU rendering and have found the following problem. Testing with real files indicate the same issue!

On the exact same machine (just switching our the graphics card):
Initial Card Installed
Zotac Dual Fan - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti graphics card GPU render score = 67 (this runs as fast as Dell 7510 with a 2 GB Quadro! )
Second Card Installed
Nvidia Dual Fan - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti graphics card GPU render score = 339

Machine:
CPU i9-9900K (no overclocking)
32 GB Ram
ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming (Mini-ITX Motherboard)
Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB
GPU: Switched out as above.

Any insight you may have on my situation is greatly appreciated!

Link to Benchmark Images

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019
Thank you for your reply, The PSU is a Corsair SF750 (750 watt). I'm not confident about the driver issue, but I installed the drivers, the Zotac works but slow rendering, installed the NVIDIA card for testing, worked great without adjustments with drivers, then reinstalled the Zotac and back to slow rendering issues.

Jul 13, 2019
No, but forgive my logic, but the second faster card ran without removing/updating the drivers. Thanks for the help. I had reinstalled the drivers twice prior to installing the second card and once after .... never was able to get the original Zotac card to run anywhere near as fast as the NVIDIA.

Jul 13, 2019
Super thanks for all your help! Solved the issue with my inept ability to attach the correct power cables. NO instructions from Zotac, but the supplied adapter confused my connections!! So please forgive a long time Mac user to loving my custom build! Thanks!

Jul 13, 2019
Thank you for your assistance and encouragement!!! In the end this was a power supply cable error! I used a supplied adapter by default and it was a mistake. My BAD!, but really Zotac does not supply instructions for installation on line or in the box... I'm a Mac convert enjoying my first build in 15 years!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Thank you for your assistance and encouragement!!! In the end this was a power supply cable error! I used a supplied adapter by default and it was a mistake. My BAD!, but really Zotac does not supply instructions for installation on line or in the box... I'm a Mac convert enjoying my first build in 15 years!

Umm, supplied adapter? That sounds frightening, the equivalent of the pilot on your flight suddenly announcing that planes can totally land without engines. iI you need a power supply adapter to power a >$1000 GPU, something has gone horribly wrong. Any competent, safe power supply will have the correct PCIE cables, without any need for an adapter.