Question Two different GPU's. What is the secret combination of the driver installs?

Dec 21, 2020
Yes, I have a bit of a Frankenstein machine with an EVGA RTX 3080 and an MSI RTX 3070. I use these GPU's for ETH mining.

In my mind I couldn't find a GPU for a long time, so when I finally found one, I bought TWO - albeit at inflated prices. I reluctantly got into the crypto mining game to recoup some of the money I wasted, hoping to sell one card eventually and end up with one (for which I effectively paid a reasonable price).

Now when I connect both these GPU's, I don't get a successful boot. I have a feeling this will require uninstalling GPU drivers and reinstalling things in a specific sequence... but I don't have the energy to trial and error this thing. Does anybody here have experience with this?

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x
GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 + MSI RTX 3070
Mobo: MSI Prestige X570 Creation

DSzymborski

Titan
Yes, I have a bit of a Frankenstein machine with an EVGA RTX 3080 and an MSI RTX 3070. I use these GPU's for ETH mining.

In my mind I couldn't find a GPU for a long time, so when I finally found one, I bought TWO - albeit at inflated prices. I reluctantly got into the crypto mining game to recoup some of the money I wasted, hoping to sell one card eventually and end up with one (for which I effectively paid a reasonable price).

Now when I connect both these GPU's, I don't get a successful boot. I have a feeling this will require uninstalling GPU drivers and reinstalling things in a specific sequence... but I don't have the energy to trial and error this thing. Does anybody here have experience with this?

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x
GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 + MSI RTX 3070
Mobo: MSI Prestige X570 Creation

What do you mean by an unsuccessful boot? What precisely is happening? No POST or freezes at Windows logo or nothing happening or nothing happening with a sound or nothing happening but certain lights or fans. We're not at your PC, so you have to effectively serve as eyes and ears.

Also, what is the exact PSU?

They basically use the same drivers, so this is unlikely the problem. And if you're not getting to boot, you don't have any drivers anyway to be the problem (unless you had a previous GPU, but I only have the information that you provide).

previous

Last edited:

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
I had two GPU's in my system a while ago, they where both AMD.

To my knowledge you just hook up one to the display and make sure to power both with their required pci-e power cables properly with a decent PSU.

After that go into windows and download the latest driver, then it should work and you should be able to control both gpu's there in the driver control panel.

If i where you id install each one separately in the main pci-e slot with the display cable hooked up first to see if they run fine when only one card is installed, then later add the second card, with this method the driver that you have installed should just pickup the second card without much trouble and you would be good to go play games or mine or whatever. with both or more cards enabled.

I had two GPU's in my system a while ago, they where both AMD.

To my knowledge you just hook up one to the display and make sure to power both with their required pci-e power cables properly with a decent PSU.

After that go into windows and download the latest driver, then it should work and you should be able to control both gpu's there in the driver control panel.

If i where you id install each one separately in the main pci-e slot with the display cable hooked up first to see if they run fine when only one card is installed, then later add the second card, with this method the driver that you have installed should just pickup the second card without much trouble and you would be good to go play games or mine or whatever. with both or more cards enabled.
Yes AMD , but his are Nvidia.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Yes AMD , but his are Nvidia.

So what do you do in the case that it is Nvidia cpu's

Doesn't the driver just pick up both cards?

As for the fact that there seems to be some other issue where the pc doesn't work right might give us some more info, somebody might be able to solve this.

Unfortunately trail and error is going to be the only way to get too sort things out in that pc.

So what do you do in the case that it is Nvidia cpu's

Doesn't the driver just pick up both cards?

As for the fact that there seems to be some other issue where the pc doesn't work right might give us some more info, somebody might be able to solve this.

Unfortunately trail and error is going to be the only way to get too sort things out in that pc.
I'm sorry he was talking about using them in sli. You can't with two different models. But i do think if you just use Nvidia driver, without sli bridge, it will recognize them both for mining, as long as the mining program is geared for it. But I don't know which mining app is the best.

Dec 21, 2020
What do you mean by an unsuccessful boot? What precisely is happening? No POST or freezes at Windows logo or nothing happening or nothing happening with a sound or nothing happening but certain lights or fans. We're not at your PC, so you have to effectively serve as eyes and ears.

Also, what is the exact PSU?

They basically use the same drivers, so this is unlikely the problem. And if you're not getting to boot, you don't have any drivers anyway to be the problem (unless you had a previous GPU, but I only have the information that you provide).

previous

Ja so we get stuck at the Windows logo when both GPU's are fully connected.
PSU: Corsair HX1200 (should be enough juice in there)

My bad, not trying to be lazy with providing info. Just not at all sure what's relevant and what isn't.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Ja so we get stuck at the Windows logo when both GPU's are fully connected.
PSU: Corsair HX1200 (should be enough juice in there)

My bad, not trying to be lazy with providing info. Just not at all sure what's relevant and what isn't.

Well at least your PSU meets the requirements, So you should be good there.

If you get stuck after having checked that each card work individually, I would reformat the computer and start with one card installed only, successfully boot windows and then install driver, and only after that add the known working second card, and after you boot successfully with both cards and have control over them in the driver control panel, then only install mining software ie: Nicehash or whatever.

Do note that mining software can cause problems for windows reliability and should only be used at own risk to hardware and operating system.