Two different lcd running as dual monitors

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
Just wanted to check if would be ok to run 2 different brands with one analog and one digital 19" lcd screens. I own a dell 19" and have a Samsung 19" that I am not currently using but was considering setting up as a dual monitor. Will they work together? And will there be a performance hit in gaming having two monitors hooked up. Just wanted some insight before trying to re-arrange my desktop to accommodate two monitors if it wouldn't work well, I won't bother.

3500+ winchester
MSI NEO 4 PLAT SLI
1x BFG 7800 GT OC 450/1100
2gigs OCZ Platinum 2.2.3.5.1T

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Yes you can run two different lcd at the same time. One with the Dvi and the other the analog or with the adaptor. It's looks pretty cool, you really appriciate the power of dual core. With 7800 GT I was able to surf the net while playing BF2 the CPU however is going crazy.

"And will there be a performance hit in gaming having two monitors hooked up. "

When 3d gaming, it'd prob be best to down one of the monitors in driver profile, as I don't think the current Nvidia or ATI drivers allow you to 3d game on just one monitor while keeping a 2d desktop on the other, although perhaps that changed in the last year or so..

If attempting to game on both monitors (at 1280x1024 each) as one wide screen, the graphics card will suffer a performance hit as though it were rendering 2560x2048....which one card 7800GT cannot really do yet other than with framerates resembling those of a PowerPoint presentation!

TRENDING THREADS