Two different ram compatibility

AshPrime

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
Hi! I have some issues right now with my current PC. Its working slow... and sometimes Im getting a bluescreen. Current config:

-MOBO: Msi 970 Gaming
-CPU: AMD Vishera, FX-8350 4.0GHz
-RAM: 2x4 GB HYPER-X savage 2133 MHz cl11 ddr3 1.6V
-RAM: 2x4 GB Patriot Viper 2133 MHz cl11 1.5V
-GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970 OC 4gb 256 bit
-HDD: 1 TB, 7200 RPM baracuda

I want to know if the two different brand of rams can work? Or I should just buy same brand and don't mix them up.

Solution
Either keep the Patriot or the HyperX Ram kit. The BSOD's are primarily due to the mixing and matching of rams(sticks/kits). Yeah You should work witht eh same brand, make and model of ram across all your ram slots. Think of ram upgrades/purchases as you would when buying a pair of shoes. You always need to buy the same shoe for the left and right foot. Meaning you need a pair/set.

If you want to populate all 4 of your ram slots, best buy 2xDual Channel Ram kits. In your case, 4x4GB DDR3-2133MHZ at 1.65v or 2x(2x4GBDDR3-2133MHz at 1.65v) ram kits.

List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Lutfij

Titan
Either keep the Patriot or the HyperX Ram kit. The BSOD's are primarily due to the mixing and matching of rams(sticks/kits). Yeah You should work witht eh same brand, make and model of ram across all your ram slots. Think of ram upgrades/purchases as you would when buying a pair of shoes. You always need to buy the same shoe for the left and right foot. Meaning you need a pair/set.

If you want to populate all 4 of your ram slots, best buy 2xDual Channel Ram kits. In your case, 4x4GB DDR3-2133MHZ at 1.65v or 2x(2x4GBDDR3-2133MHz at 1.65v) ram kits.

List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Solution