[SOLVED] Two different ram sticks is it good or bad for gaming?

vlatko_1

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2016
Hi guys I have lenovo legion y520 with 8gb ram this one: https://files.fm/thumb_show.php?i=u28tpyt3
and after while I buy another ram stick from 8gb but from other manufacture this one: https://files.fm/thumb_show.php?i=4y5wd78r
Ok my question is: Is it bad or good for gaming performance?
and if I buy new ram memory kit with same manufacture (cl15 on 2400mhz) will gain more stability and more fps?

p.s. now works stable for everyday use, and its ok with gaming no problem so far, but stutter in some depending games can feel...

laptop spec:
i5 7300hq
gtx 1050 TI 4gb
16 gb ram
m.2 ssd

Solution
yes it works like this almost whole year no blue screen nothing, but I was thought can I get more stability more fps if I buy new ram kit (same manufacture) with tighter timings?

You will see a slight upgrade in performance, maybe 1-5 FPS difference, if you were to get the new kit. But that's about it. It's the 1050 Ti that's really holding you back. Games rely way more on the VRAM on the gpu rather than your system RAM. It's only when upgrading to a 3000MHz kit that you really start to see a noticeable performance boost.
What is the current CL and clock speed of your current RAM? Thaiphoon doesn't share the current settings, just base settings. An identical CL should bring the most stability even if you're using two different sticks, next you want to make sure the RAM sticks are near the same Clock speed. If not then the clock speed will default to the lowest clock speed of the two sticks. For example if one ram stick is 1866MHz and the other is 2400MHz, then the 2400Mhz stick will drop down to 1866 to match the other stick.

Using two different ram sticks should work for both gaming and work productivity, but it's not recommended. Just try to make their clock and CL as similar as possible and it shouldn't have too many hiccups.

vlatko_1

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2016
What is the current CL and clock speed of your current RAM? Thaiphoon doesn't share the current settings, just base settings. An identical CL should bring the most stability even if you're using two different sticks, next you want to make sure the RAM sticks are near the same Clock speed. If not then the clock speed will default to the lowest clock speed of the two sticks. For example if one ram stick is 1866MHz and the other is 2400MHz, then the 2400Mhz stick will drop down to 1866 to match the other stick.

Using two different ram sticks should work for both gaming and work productivity, but it's not recommended. Just try to make their clock and CL as similar as possible and it shouldn't have too many hiccups.
OK here correct how it is:
first ram is with laptop and the model is:
SK Hynix SO-DIMM 8GB, DDR4-2666, CL19-19-19 (HMA81GS6CJR8N-VK)
And second one is:
Micron MTA8ATF1G64HZ-2G6E1 8GB DDR4 2666MHz, cas 19

and my laptop max frequency is 2400mhz....
here some screen shot from my situation... View: https://imgur.com/NdtnQgh

Is it good in my situation or its better to go with kingston kit two same memorys 2400 mhz cl14?

OK here correct how it is:
first ram is with laptop and the model is:
SK Hynix SO-DIMM 8GB, DDR4-2666, CL19-19-19 (HMA81GS6CJR8N-VK)
And second one is:
Micron MTA8ATF1G64HZ-2G6E1 8GB DDR4 2666MHz, cas 19

and my laptop max frequency is 2400mhz....
here some screen shot from my situation... View: https://imgur.com/NdtnQgh

Is it good in my situation or its better to go with kingston kit two same memorys 2400 mhz cl14?

Looks like both timing and clock speeds are the same so you should theoretically be fine with your situation. Though if you ever get a random crash or blue screen, the culprit will most likely be the RAM since using two different RAM sticks with different firmware for each stick has been known to cause errors before. But you don't need to lose any sleep on it. It should work with gaming as well.

Reactions: vlatko_1

vlatko_1

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2016
Looks like both timing and clock speeds are the same so you should theoretically be fine with your situation. Though if you ever get a random crash or blue screen, the culprit will most likely be the RAM since using two different RAM sticks with different firmware for each stick has been known to cause errors before. But you don't need to lose any sleep on it. It should work with gaming as well.

yes it works like this almost whole year no blue screen nothing, but I was thought can I get more stability more fps if I buy new ram kit (same manufacture) with tighter timings?

You will see a slight upgrade in performance, maybe 1-5 FPS difference, if you were to get the new kit. But that's about it. It's the 1050 Ti that's really holding you back. Games rely way more on the VRAM on the gpu rather than your system RAM. It's only when upgrading to a 3000MHz kit that you really start to see a noticeable performance boost.

Reactions: vlatko_1
Solution

vlatko_1

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2016
its backup laptop its to game in the weekend house, and I was like playing fortnite warzone csgo etc but how new update comes more fps drops and more unstable became and I thought maybe if I put same ram memory with tight timings bring me better but yeah you're right... its pointless, maybe better to sell this one and get something new xD thanks man