Two different routers with one ISP connection?

scooter69

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I have one broadband (POE dish set-up) connection to the house, (ideally I'd have a second connection and I wouldn't be posting this), I want to run a WRT54G as SSID (one) and a WRT350N SSID (two) at the same time? Do I need a ethernet-to-switch-to ethernet to both routers, or just the WAN connection to one router and then ethernet from router (one) to router (two)? Of course I'll have different SSIDs and the DHCP set 1.10 to 1.50 on one and 2.1 to 2.50 on router (two) and a 4 channel spread between the two, but do I need to do anything else? Thanks!

Solution
I don't know if getting a switch will work, because I don't think there is a DHCP server on the WAN side, so both routers would fight over the ip address.
But you can plug your broadband in to your first router's WAN port and then plug the second router in from a extra port from router 1 in to the WAN port on router 2. This will make it so you have internet on all of the network but no one can see each other if the are on different routers. As well as let you have different DHCP assigned IP addresses and more security on router 2's network, because not only are they behind router 2's firewall but they are behind router's 1 firewall as well.

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I don't know if getting a switch will work, because I don't think there is a DHCP server on the WAN side, so both routers would fight over the ip address.
But you can plug your broadband in to your first router's WAN port and then plug the second router in from a extra port from router 1 in to the WAN port on router 2. This will make it so you have internet on all of the network but no one can see each other if the are on different routers. As well as let you have different DHCP assigned IP addresses and more security on router 2's network, because not only are they behind router 2's firewall but they are behind router's 1 firewall as well.

Solution

scooter69

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009

Thanks for the info very good to have, I'll hold on to it but it's not really the direction I was going.

scooter69

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009

This is kinda what I was thinking I needed to do, how will this setup affect internet speeds on both? Thanks!

I didn't think about that before I asked, the speed that is.

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Hmm that is a good question, I actually don't know, my best guess is that it shouldn't make a difference what network your are on, Network 1 might get priority on the bandwidth/Speed but I don't think so.
If you have QOS enabled it might change.