Two different Seagate Green 1TBs Beeping

murkraz

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
Hi all,

I've spent days at a loss. 5 days ago while I was playing WoW my game cut to black and by the time I had loaded the OS, the hard drive, a 2007 250gb Hitachi, was clicking a lot, and when I would load a game (movies, anything else would be fine), the hard drive would click a lot and the monitor signal would go and either the PSU, CPU or GPU fan gets really loud and goes on until I'd off it.

I went out to get a new drive and 6 locations had none. I got a Seagate GoFlex Desk USB 3.0 and with ease got the internal hard drive out which was a Seagate Barracuda Green 1TB. I plugged in the SATA cables and installed W7, and once my Nvidia drivers were done my new hard drive started to act up. It would emit a beep, and I know it wasn't the motherboard because I had the hard drive up on my desk and the sound was clearly coming from it.

It would let out a quick and loud 'BEEP' whenever the desktop would loud, or whenever I'd change resolution, or Aero to Classic, and so on. Always with the beep, followed by either the monitor signal going until I hold the button and restart, or a beep followed by the OS freezing up for about 2 minutes and then becoming normal again.

I went and made an exchange and got the same product and I'm in awe that I'm having the same problem with yet another 1TB Seagate drive. It installed W7 with such ease. I can watch HD videos. I reapplied thermal paste and reseated every object in my computer case, cleaned them, everything. My CPU temperatures are much better and my GPU seems to be good.

I just don't get it. I've changed power cords, I've done everything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds to me like either a motherboard or video driver issue. If someone says "My drive beeps after I install Nvidia drivers," my first guess is always the Nvidia drivers or board.

Since the issue has affected three drives, with two different brands, a disk problem seems unlikely to me. Can you try
0) Remove any other hardware that may be on the system: modem, USB3 controller card, memory after the first slot...
1) If your mobo has onboard graphics, try a build without the video card?
2) If the above is not possible, put off graphics installation until last. When you absolutely have to install the graphics drivers, download a six-month-old version.

BTW - you may have proved what all claim is impossible. We all "know" that disks don't beep, but you did isolate the disk!