Two different Win10 Product keys

bullybeef73

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2012
Hi all,

I have a new Asus Laptop which had mounting issues with the pre-installed copy of Win10. After repeatedly performing the inbuilt recoveries, I couldn't resolve the problems, so I ran a Win10 ISO whilst logged into the activated Laptop. A fresh Win10 successfully installed and activated, and the initial problems seems resolved.

But this is the first prepackaged PC I have bought for some time, and it didn't have the pre-installed Win10 product key anywhere. So I have used ProduKey and it is showing two different Keys for the same Product ID:
A BIOS OEM key and Window10 Home key attached to the Username.

So why does it now have two Product Keys and should I only use the BIOS OEM key if I need to reinstall and activate Win10 in the future?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Solution
If win 10 is activated now, you don't worry about which key its using. Its likely using the one attached to your user name.

If you ever install win 10 again on that PC you just need to click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue the install and activate once it contacts the MS servers.The details stored on a Microsoft server include the right key + the details of the PC and possibly an email address.

easy way to tell which key its using
Go to settings/update & security/activation
If next to activation it says Windows is activated with a digital license then the activation is based on the details of the PC and is still tied to the hardware (likely using BIOS key

If, Instead, it says Windows is activated with a...

Colif

Win 11 Master
If win 10 is activated now, you don't worry about which key its using. Its likely using the one attached to your user name.

If you ever install win 10 again on that PC you just need to click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue the install and activate once it contacts the MS servers.The details stored on a Microsoft server include the right key + the details of the PC and possibly an email address.

easy way to tell which key its using
Go to settings/update & security/activation
If next to activation it says Windows is activated with a digital license then the activation is based on the details of the PC and is still tied to the hardware (likely using BIOS key

If, Instead, it says Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account then the activation is based on the key attached to your Microsoft account email address.

Solution

bullybeef73

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2012
Many thanks. Yes it is the latter, since the BIOS Win10 key was partially visible prior to the 1803 update.

Another reason I ask is I'm considering adding a SSD to the laptop in future if compatibility permits.

Good news, my wife had arranged to return the Asus for a refund, but the seller has given her a credit due to the hassle of repairing it ourselves.

TRENDING THREADS