Question Two gpu and dual os setup help

Jan 25, 2023
Hi All...first post on here so be kind! 😂✌

Just a quick question.

I am currently running a dual OS system, with two nvme drives (one drive setup for gaming and the other for work). I am currently running an rtx3060 12g, ryzen 9 3900xt on a msi mag x570 tomahawk mb. My monitor is a samsung ultra wide 49inch. My idea is to install a second rtx card in second pci riser and then use the rtx3060 for my work OS and the second gpu for my gaming OS (NOT SLI)

Am i right in thinking that i can simply install the second gpu, plug this into the the monitor and install the drivers on the gaming os. Then just simply switch over the monitor channel when booting either the work or gaming os to take the feed from the correct gpu?

does this sound correct and 'doable'?

thanks in advance!

My idea is to install a second rtx card in second pci riser and then use the rtx3060 for my work OS and the second gpu for my gaming OS (NOT SLI)
does this sound correct and 'doable'?
Weirdest idea ever. LOL
What exactly gets accomplished by that?
You'd essentially get additional discrete GPU for for it (or the other one) to be wasted /to not get used all the time.

Just make a separate computer for gaming. That would make more sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nighthawk117
Jan 25, 2023
Weirdest idea ever. LOL
What exactly gets accomplished by that?
You'd essentially get additional discrete GPU for for it to be wasted /to not get used all the time.

Just make a separate computer for gaming. That would make more sense.

I know it sounds daft, but there is a reason....LOL 😎

basically i already have a gaming pc and work pc, but the gaming pc is a little old now and doesn't game as well as the work pc and the cpu is bottlenecking the gpu (rtx3070). Therefore decided to use the work pc, but use a separate os, to keep my work and gaming stuff separate (plus i use gaming drivers for gaming pc and studio drivers for work pc). Now the rtx3060 12g is perfect for my work, as i need the extra vram for rendering, etc, but the rtx3070 only has 8gb which isn't enough for my work, but fine for gaming. Therefore i want to use the rtx3070 for gaming and the 3060 work, on the same pc so i get better fps and have the 3060 for the higher vram....

i know i can just buy a new card (like a 3090 24g for example) but i don't want to spend the money right now and thought using the 3070 this way would be better, until i have the cash for sopmething like a rtx3090 or 4000 series....

does that all make sense?...or would i just be wasting my time?....but there is some logic in all this! 😂😂😂

Therefore i want to use the rtx3070 for gaming and the 3060 work, on the same pc so i get better fps and have the 3060 for the higher vram....
does that all make sense?...or would i just be wasting my time?....but there is some logic in all this! 😂😂😂
Didn't you say in your opening post, you want to install two RTX 3060 in your pc?
That got me confused.

To have both GPUS on same pc (RTX 3060 and RTX 3070) would require minimum 850W PSU.