UpjumpedNeophyte

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
Hello. I run two HP 2080s in an NVLink array with an EVGA SuperNova T2 1000 PSU, an Asus X-570-E motherboard and an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU. I recently cleaned out the older (and much dirtier) graphics card and replaced the thermal pads with new ones which may or may not have been way too thick. Anyway, I hooked everything back up and discovered that both cards have an error 43 message in the Device Manager, with some mumbo jumbo about them not being migrated due to a partial or ambiguous match.

Okay, fine. I removed them both and then tried each one on its own twice, once in the first PCIe 16 slot and again in the second slot. No avail. I made sure to update both Windows and the Nvidia drivers from the website before doing so too, I should add. Sadly, no luck. What was especially worrisome was the fact that the cards always felt blazing hot when I'd handle them. Not warm, HOT. I decided it would be best to remove the cards altogether for their own safety until I can get a clear picture of what's going on...

...yet seeing as how the 3600 has no integrated graphics, I now have no picture at all. Sent from my iPhone.

If anyone can give me some suggestions on how to safely proceed with the troubleshooting of the cards I'd deeply appreciate it. If it makes any difference, I won't be using the older card with the new thermal pads anymore, I'm very afraid I broke it by placing dummy thicc pads on it. :(

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
By the time the cooler is completely reassembled, it's too late. If it's been cracked, that's it.
It is not enough to know pad thickness. The degree of hardness is another factor and those vary among 3rd party solutions.

I don't know where the hype with changing thermal pads is coming from, but it should be a last resort. Only change them if:
-the old ones have been totally mauled.
-you can prove the memory was running very hot.

I've no idea how changing pads on one card broke both of them... clear CMOS, and if that doesn't work, take them both to a PC shop and see if they can get a signal out.