Two gpus for two jobs at the same time

Nov 18, 2018
So, while gaming with the nvidia gpu, the intel hd one turns off, so could they somehow be on at the same time? intel one for chrome youtube facebook etc, and the nvidia one just for the game and nothing more

Solution
You can use both integrated and dedicated graphics at the same time, but not in the way I think you are asking. You cannot combine the integrated graphics and dedicated graphics processing power for most applications. You can utilize integrated graphics to accelerate some applications (Intel quicksync etc) but for something like gaming, viewport rendering in an application etc, you cannot.

You can however add additional monitors etc to your motherboard video outputs and run those from the CPU integrated graphics while using the output from the dedicated graphics device for your main monitor(s)/applications.

ebosss03

Reputable
May 1, 2018
You can use both integrated and dedicated graphics at the same time, but not in the way I think you are asking. You cannot combine the integrated graphics and dedicated graphics processing power for most applications. You can utilize integrated graphics to accelerate some applications (Intel quicksync etc) but for something like gaming, viewport rendering in an application etc, you cannot.

You can however add additional monitors etc to your motherboard video outputs and run those from the CPU integrated graphics while using the output from the dedicated graphics device for your main monitor(s)/applications.

Solution
Nov 18, 2018
"You can use both integrated and dedicated graphics at the same time" thats what im asking, every time i minimize the game bottom right corner i see the intel hd control panel icon (which means the intel gpu turned on? am i right?), but the game runs on the nvidia one and there is chrome oppened which runs on the intel one, so how to use at the same time so the intel does not turn off, but not with two monitors its a laptop no sense for so much cables etc

When you minimize the game, you aren't needing both anyways but it should already be doing what you are asking. With the game running it can't turn off the nvidia gpu or the game will crash. But optimus should be switching since it should be set to use the igpu for the other lesser tasks you mentioned. Just look at gpu usage for each and see which gpu is being used.

Multiple monitors does not split tasks between gpus. Even with a desktop, it will stick with the main gpu and use the other as a passthrough for the other monitor. The only exception is software that can be set to use a different gpu in itself or in some instances using 2 different nvidia gpus.

TRENDING THREADS