[SOLVED] Two graphics cards in the same computer

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Hi,

can two graphics cards be used in the same computer? I will be getting a Sapphire RX6700XT and I already have a Sapphire RX 580. So I was just wondering if the two can be used together for more graphic goodness.

Solution
You certainly can do it in games that support mGPU with directX 12. But that number is virtually ZERO. It sucks because adding another graphics card would be an excellent way to improve performance. Unfortunately dual or even more than dual graphics cards is quickly becoming a thing of the past.
You certainly can do it in games that support mGPU with directX 12. But that number is virtually ZERO. It sucks because adding another graphics card would be an excellent way to improve performance. Unfortunately dual or even more than dual graphics cards is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

Solution

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
I see you have a RX 6700 XT? What it like? I have one on the way.

but how many games support unlinked explicit multi gpu ?...not many as it is more complex for developers than traditional linked mode (replacement for sli/crossfire with identical cards)
as far i can tell ashes of singularity, civilisation VI and doom eternal supports unlinked mgpu

I had an RX 6700 XT that I swapped for an RTX 3070. The RX 6700 XT was pretty good but it lacks DLSS and if you wanna run Cyberpunk 2077 with ray tracing in that game on that card it's a nightmare. Without ray tracing it's almost as good as the RTX 3070. Really it's very overpriced right now. Hopefully you got a good deal on yours. Overall it's a good graphics card until you try ray tracing... While it's very much capable of a little bit of ray tracing it's not good in games that implement ray traced gi, ray traced shadows, and reflections all in one. In Cyberpunk 2077 it can do decent if you turn off the ray traced lighting, ray traced reflections, and only run ray traced shadows. Hopefully FSR will be more widely implemented later because it's needed greatly in games that run ray tracing. If you don't care about ray tracing it's a really good card. And like I said until FSR is more widely used ray tracing isn't going to be very feasible on the card.

Jun 16, 2021
The answer is YES and NO, here's why:
  1. If we are talking about budget gaming PC, You can still play some older games with SLI / CROSSFIRE. Games which are running on DirectX 11 mostly support this technology and You need to run 2 same GPU models (brand can be different). Unfortunately last AMD model which support CF is like R9 280 and 290 series. If You want to focus on games like BF 4 or Far Cry 5 You can still push nice ammount of FPS without expensive GPU. nVidia went futher with their NVLINK tech and You can buy even newer cards from the "green ones".
  2. If we are talking about very present time and newest AAA games, SLI and CF is absolutely DEAD. While DirectX 12 show up it brings somethink names mGPU and it replace old tech; however it require more work from game devs and thoose lames don't want to spend even penny more on their games, so most of them doesn't support that. There are some single games which support mGPU and You can run multiple GPU, even different models together but they are just a few games.
In my private opinion: while SLI and CF was alive, compatibility for running few GPUs was up to graphic manufactures like nVidia and AMD, while DX12 was introduced, this technology development was moved to game devs, which dirrectly sayed the mGPU market is just 1% of gamers and they are not going to support it (which is a lie), thoose bastards just don't want to spend more time to make a game like it should be, however they still pushes a crap for sales which needs TONS of updates - right out of the box and in few first weeks they are mostly unplayable. I think the best solution for this state of affairs we should stop buying games from developers who doesn't want to provide us a decent technology to support multiple GPUs - which literaly means we should stop buying games / stop paying for games.