Question Two Graphics Cards on z77a-G43?

jdiddy3175

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Hello Everyone,

I have a z77a-g43 motherboard with a Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 graphics card currently running four monitors. I work in the financial industry, and I am trying to upgrade to six monitors. I've been considering a few different options -- upgrading to a different graphics card, or just going through a complete re-build.

My question is this: Can I just add a second graphics card to my motherboard and get to six monitors that way? Are there compatibility issues with my currently installed graphics card if so?

Here is my complete build:

Thank you so much for the help.

Lutfij

Titan
How old is the PSU listed above? You could look for an eyefinity edition GPU that will allow you to connect a max of 6 displays but you will need to have display ports on the monitors.

Last edited:

jdiddy3175

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
How old is the PSU listed above? You could look for an eyefinity edition GPU that will allow you to connect a max of 6 displays but you will need to have display ports on the monitors.
Does that mean that adding a second gpu along with my one I already have installed is a bad idea?

Reactions: jdiddy3175

jdiddy3175

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
better question, what type of connectors do the monitors have?
You can find cards that natively support 6 monitors using display port for
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Visiontek-Radeon-7750-X6-PCIE-2GB-GDDR5-Mini-Display-Port-VGA-Video-Graphic-Card/363160201707?hash=item548e08e9eb:g:z9AAAOSwhC9fnEqf
somewhat reasonable price, otherwise you could easily just get another card like the one you have your psu can easily handle it as you aren't gaming.
I think this is honestly the best solution. I've read various articles on how effective splitting two cards can be and it sounds rather finicky. I am not planning on gaming so I'm not trying for hyper performance, just six functioning monitors. Thank you for your suggestion.

Reactions: spentshells

ASK THE COMMUNITY