[SOLVED] Two hardwired desktops, one getting complete loss of signal, but the other is fine?

brittenjohnson13

Reputable
Jan 3, 2018
We have two desktop computers both are hardwired (ethernet connected). I recently have been experiencing total loss in internet signal but it still shows I am connected. I cant even get enough "juice" to run a speed test to see what download numbers I'm experiencing during those losses in signal.
I assumed it was on my internet providers end, but the other connected computer isn't experiencing the same issues. I had a tech come out to check just to make sure it wasn't ports going bad on my equipment, everything checked out fine. The tech said "maybe one of your computers isn't grounded properly and is attempting to ground itself through the ethernet cord." Since then I've been scouring the internet to find out how to tell/test if one of the pc's may not be correctly grounded. Unfortunately I cant find any information that make sense to the issues I'm having. There's no other issues going on other than random losses in signal. The only way I've found to correct the issue is to unplug the ethernet and plug it back in, multiple times a day. The ethernet is less than 2 months old, our modem and router are less than a month old.
my questions are: What could potentially be creating these issues? How would one tell if a pc/pc equipment isn't correctly grounded?
I've not experienced getting shocked by either computer in any form. We did have to replace our equipment about a month ago because the ethernet ports on the back stopped producing signal even though on Spectrums end they said all ports appeared to be working properly, but BOTH pc's said they weren't connected by ethernet even though they were.

Solution
To check if the desktop is grounded...get a multimeter....set it to "ohms"....touch one lead to the metal case...the other...to a known ground. It should read zero ohms.

Also....if you touch one lead to the one computer case....and the other ...to the other case...that should also read near zero ohms.

it sounds like it's possible it may be a bad ground.
To check if the desktop is grounded...get a multimeter....set it to "ohms"....touch one lead to the metal case...the other...to a known ground. It should read zero ohms.

Also....if you touch one lead to the one computer case....and the other ...to the other case...that should also read near zero ohms.

Reactions: brittenjohnson13
Solution

brittenjohnson13

Reputable
Jan 3, 2018
Are these computers located together or in separate areas?

Are they on the same electrical circuit (breaker)?

If you power one down completely, does the other work properly (and vice versa)?
Yes located in the same area, same circuit.

Never tried powering one down totally, but mine is the only one experiencing issues generally. On occasion the other pc has download speed issues but hasnt had any issues with that one for a hot second. When the other pc sleeps I dont experience any issues on my pc.

brittenjohnson13

Reputable
Jan 3, 2018

thank you for that bit of information, I will give that a test an see what turns up.