Question Two HDD Raid 1 Windows 7 disaster Who wants to help me regroup?

Thedeathadder

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015
Z420 Workstation - E5-1650 v2 - 32GB RAM - Quadro K4200 Graphic Card - 2x 500GB 3.5" SATA 7.2K that were set to Raid 1

I had to load a new operating system and I had to load a new graphic card (Quadro K4200)

This was a half done refurbish. Got it for my wife and her photoshop/lightroom related work.

OK I've done a Z420 refurbish and OS before, especially with the trickiness because of the USB-3 but always got by.

This time I had to use CMD to put wins from the disk onto the hard drive just to load and install Win 7

At first it was a success. I loaded Win 7 on and computer was working.....then I noticed the Raid 1 was off. Its two hard drives of 500GB to make one Hard Drive 1TB...It was clear that didn't happen.

1st Not only was one hard drive missing, but was this off? There was like only 363GB left of a 500GB drive after Wins installed, almost 150GB seems a high price for Win 7 lol Something wrong there?

OK so once I noticed a drive was missing I did as they suggested and reattached the plugs to the hard drives.

Then I went to Bios The drives were there and detected.

Turned computer back on and one of the two drives was still missing.

Unplugged the "bad" hard drive and the computer loaded with just the one working drive. windows loaded.

Unplugged the good drive and turned on with the bad drive. Windows would start to load and a blue screen would restart the startup.

Went back to Bios and now the "bad" hard drive was listed as not install when doing a hard drive test, yet was still listed in storage devices. A there/not there type deal.

Plugged both hard drives back in and turned on computer...stuck in starting up Windows logo screen...

Retried cables, replaced cables, turn on...stuck in start up

Went to Bios and selected Return Bios To Factory Default....Turned computer on, stuck in Start Up

Might try going to Bios and taking out of Raid

I'm doing a test on memory right now, to see if bad ram is doing it.

Might try taking out the graphic card. It worked and installed just fine before, but maybe that's causing the problem. Its the only thing I actually added to the machine.

Question...Is there a way to just reformat the two hard drives and reinstall windows? Because right now it only wants to run the start up screen and that's where it stays stuck. Nothing is working in any of the Windows Repair options.

Trying to do as much as I can before throwing in the towel and sending it back again.

I mean the hard drives worked earlier today. How could they both be dead now? The problem is when I do things like list disk in CMD where before it showed me disk 0 and disk 1 it now says no disks found.

Any ideas at all I would glady accept thrown onto the table. I'm hitting search engines about a million sites. I put together on of these Z420 just last week with 64gb of ram, 3 ssds and k5200 Quadro without problem. This one was actually loaded and working just fine until I decided to see what was up with the second of the two drives in this raid 1 setup.

Looking to start fresh but currently it won't let me. Windows is trying to resolve something but it's giving zero clues as to what, so I'm testing every part of it.

Let me know any random thoughts you might have.

Search Results
Web results

Quadro K4200 - Nvidia

Thedeathadder

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015
Worse comes to worse, could I just toss the hard drives, get new hard drives and install win 7 again or does this mess with the motherboard too? I might just want to replace with ssds anyway.