[SOLVED] Two higher density versus 4 lower density DIMMs

Sig_Dude

Prominent
Dec 18, 2021
I'm (still) in the process of ordering RAM for a build. It's the same build I was discussing on here a couple of weeks ago, listed below.

Everything else remaining constant, which would be faster:

(2) x 32 GB PC3200 or (4) x 16 GB PC3200?

Thanks.

system:

motherboard: MSI Z690 MAG Tomahawk DDR4
CPU: i9-12900KF
case: be quiet! BG039
cooling: be quiet! BW008
SSD1: Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB
SSD2: Western Digital Black SN850 2 TB
graphics: PNY Quadro RTX 5000

Solution
Would be good to look at reviews regarding single rank vs dualrank ram. Single vs dualrank has to do with how the chips are arranged on the pcb or even in what capacity they are arranged on the pcb.

With 4sticks occupying all slots you will surely have dualrank ram which might give a little extra performance, but 4 sticks usually also mean a higher load on the memory controller of the cpu. Think the 12900K will probably be fine with it and if the speed isn't too high.

So do you mean with PC3200 3200mhz? Or what speed are you looking at? Think 3200mhz would be fine with 4 sticks. Would myself make sure all four sticks come from one set/kit of ram.

And the question comes to mind if you will have enough for the future with 64gb, don't...

kanewolf

Titan
I'm (still) in the process of ordering RAM for a build. It's the same build I was discussing on here a couple of weeks ago, listed below.

Everything else remaining constant, which would be faster:

(2) x 32 GB PC3200 or (4) x 16 GB PC3200?

Thanks.

system:

motherboard: MSI Z690 MAG Tomahawk DDR4
CPU: i9-12900KF
case: be quiet! BG039
cooling: be quiet! BW008
SSD1: Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB
SSD2: Western Digital Black SN850 2 TB
graphics: PNY Quadro RTX 5000
The CPU is a dual channel memory design. I always recommend two DIMMs because that is what the CPU is optimized for.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Would be good to look at reviews regarding single rank vs dualrank ram. Single vs dualrank has to do with how the chips are arranged on the pcb or even in what capacity they are arranged on the pcb.

With 4sticks occupying all slots you will surely have dualrank ram which might give a little extra performance, but 4 sticks usually also mean a higher load on the memory controller of the cpu. Think the 12900K will probably be fine with it and if the speed isn't too high.

So do you mean with PC3200 3200mhz? Or what speed are you looking at? Think 3200mhz would be fine with 4 sticks. Would myself make sure all four sticks come from one set/kit of ram.

And the question comes to mind if you will have enough for the future with 64gb, don't know what the pc is for, otherwise with two sticks do you keep the door open to upgrade.

Last edited:
Solution
If we're talking density like ranks, and going by https://www.techspot.com/article/1971-more-ram-modules-better-for-gaming/ , more ranks appear to offer better performance. Not much, but it's measurable. The explanation is that while data transfers are still limited, data access can be interleaved so that when one transfer is done, the next transfer is ready to go.

However, I don't think it's worth losing sleep over.