Two issues with computer that hasn't had any in the past, windows 10 problems?

Aug 27, 2018
Firstly, when I boot my computer it used to take only a handful of seconds to get through to the login window but one day in the past couple weeks I left for work with the computer running which isnt something rare for me but this time I came back to 1-2 minute boot times.
Second issue I'm having is my computer runs fine for 5-10 minutes after my initial boot and then after I hit the reset on my case it will run perfectly until I shut down the computer. I have no idea whats causing these issues.
Any help is welcome!

Solution
if its slow before the login screen, this can mean its a hardware item that windows is waiting to answer at startup. Try unplugging any extra USB devices or remove any extra PCI cards in PC and see if its faster.

You can try booting into safe mode just to remove drivers from causes
From desktop, go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart Now

PC should start in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

Was startup any different? Safe mode only uses windows default drivers so if its still same, might need to look at a hardware...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you know what motherboard you have?

Try turning fast startup off - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

You might need to upgrade a few drivers on motherboard. Fact it works fine after a reset leads me to think some of your drivers don't like the new win 10 power modes. Turning fast startup off might fix the 2nd issue but its really just a work around.

With fast startup on, when you shut PC down its really using a hibernate mode. It saves a copy of the windows kernel + any running drivers into ram, which speeds up old hdd but can confuse older drivers not written for the feature. Turning it off means PC is actually off when you shut it down. Start up may be slower unless you have an SSD, then you probably not notice any difference.

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
When you do a restart in Windows 10, it is like a full shutdown in the old Windows. When you do a shutdown, it uses "fast startup". So a reboot in Windows 10 is slower than a shutdown and startup. Your occasional slow start p could be because of Windows updates. After updates, it will boot up slower.
If you don't like fast startup, you can turn it off like Colif said.

I may be wrong, but I wouldn't rule out that it is preparing Windows updates. I lean more towards that after you have had successful virus and malware scans.
Leave it running and hopefully today or tomorrow when you do a shutdown/restart, it will complete the updates.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if its slow before the login screen, this can mean its a hardware item that windows is waiting to answer at startup. Try unplugging any extra USB devices or remove any extra PCI cards in PC and see if its faster.

You can try booting into safe mode just to remove drivers from causes
From desktop, go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart Now

PC should start in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

Was startup any different? Safe mode only uses windows default drivers so if its still same, might need to look at a hardware cause.

I realise fast startup is just a work around but if it fixes the problem, its worth doing if we cannot find actual problem that is causing issue 2.

Solution