Two issues with IE 11

marvindash

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2014
Hi all. A couple of problems are affecting my IE 11. The first of these is that I can no longer add a site to favourites. The second is that when I right-click and select Properties in IE, nothing happens, even if I wait. Outside of IE, right-clicking and selecting Properties will do what it's supposed to do, so this problem is restricted to IE.

I reset IE's settings, but that didn't work. I ran a check for corrupt system files in command prompt (sfc /scannow), but it said everything was fine.

Yet these two problems persist. Any idea what's going on?

Solution
Have you tried completely disabling and then re enabling Internet Explorer 11? Here are some detailed instructions:

https://www.ghacks.net/2013/09/20/uninstall-internet-explorer-11/

When Internet explorer is removed from the list, reboot the PC. Then it should be disabled. When you re enable the Windows Explorer in "Turn Window's features on and off", it should reinstall it on your PC.

jr9

Estimable
Have you tried completely disabling and then re enabling Internet Explorer 11? Here are some detailed instructions:

https://www.ghacks.net/2013/09/20/uninstall-internet-explorer-11/

When Internet explorer is removed from the list, reboot the PC. Then it should be disabled. When you re enable the Windows Explorer in "Turn Window's features on and off", it should reinstall it on your PC.

Solution

marvindash

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2014

Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't tried that, but have just done so and it has had no effect. Problem still the same.

jr9

Estimable
- Did you try running IE 11 in no add ons mode?

- Have you tried making sure protect mode is disabled? start > control panel > internet options > security tab disable "protect mode" (below the slider bar)

marvindash

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2014

Hadn't tried either of these. ^This one did the trick, so thank you! Only thing is that it said when I disabled it 'this will put your computer at risk'. Presumably not at significant risk because otherwise nobody would want to be able to add to favourites and use the right click properties option.

jr9

Estimable

That feature is enabled on some Internet Explorer installs by default. These days newer installations of IE 11 it is disabled. I would ignore the warning. Microsoft created that feature in an attempt to make IE 11 a little more safe. It didn't go over well with people. If you are concerned about security I recommend keeping IE 11 up to date or using a different browser although if you like IE 11 that's fine it does what it's supposed to.