Question Two laptops, two power supplies, one dead battery, can I safely exchange power supplies to test

RCSea

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2005
So, I have two Asus "Republic of Gamers" branded laptops. The first one had a problem with the screen and I couldn't wait for a repair (I use it for DJing work). So I bought a newer model, figuring I would repair the older one at some point and use it as a backup. I did recently get the screen working, but I think the battery sat too long at 0% power and will not charge. So it's probably the battery, but I'm not positive it isn't the power adapter since I've seen bad power adapters cause the same behavior even with a good battery). Can I plug either of these adapters into the 'wrong' laptop to test things (they have identical plug sizes)? I'm thinking if the lower output charger still starts to charge the battery in the newer laptop I could probably safely assume the battery is the problem in the older laptop. Or is this just a bad idea all around?

Laptop 1 power adapter (older): 19.5V --- 7.7A
Laptop 2 power adapter (newer): 19.5V --- 9.5A

idea is ok
if u use higher amperage power supply on a device which needs less, theres nothing wrong with that, device will use as much as it can
on the oposide side, if u connect lower amperage psu on higher amperage device, than thats really bad idea, short test run should be ok, prolonged runs will kill either psu or device