two layer PETG vacuum insulated tubing

Sep 2, 2018
thought of an odd idea. in order to get some serious overclocking done on a cpu, such as the new AMD Threadripper, you need a very good cooling system. you almost need to have liquid nitrogen to keep it cool enough. but what if you could use chilled water cooling instead.

I watched Linus Tech Tips make a video about cooling the cpu with a fish tank water chiller. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMtvEbD2MQo). it was very successful, the only problem was the condensation on the water tubing.

as i am watching the video i am drinking from my Yeti tumbler and the idea hit me, what if you were able to have a two layer vacuum insulated tubing out of PETG? the material should have the strength to withstand the near vacuum pressure and should work well as an insulator like my Yeti tumbler does keeping my ice water cold. the only issue i have come up with at this time is that it would be very difficult creating bends in the tubing, so only straight tubes could be made.

this is an idea for the everyday consumer that wants to overclock and keep their system cool, without having to pay a lot of money to buy liquid nitrogen.

anyone have thoughts or ideas to run off on this?

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
You're better off buying a custom loop water cooler. Then adding a Peltier element or small water chiller to the loop.

I personally use a big radiator outside the case as a heater during winter. Effectively heats my small PC room. For summer, a Peltier/Water chiller can help but I just lower the OC till the heat passes.

condensation on the water tubing.
You just need to keep at above room temperature. The water will heat up as time passes. Keeping it near 30c-ish will dramatically lower temps by preventing the water from heating up. Going below 20c is overkill.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
You're better off buying a custom loop water cooler. Then adding a Peltier element or small water chiller to the loop.

I personally use a big radiator outside the case as a heater during winter. Effectively heats my small PC room. For summer, a Peltier/Water chiller can help but I just lower the OC till the heat passes.

condensation on the water tubing.
You just need to keep at above room temperature. The water will heat up as time passes. Keeping it near 30c-ish will dramatically lower temps by preventing the water from heating up. Going below 20c is overkill.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS