Two locations, two different results, same powerline adapter

salilsurendran

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Hello,
I bought 3 powerline adapters with passthrough. One I connected to my router and the other to my desktop computer and another to my laptop. On my laptop I get 25 Mbps and on my desktop I get 6 Mbps. Via wifi I get 33 Mbps on both and my total internet speed from ISP is 50 Mbps. On my desktop into the plug that I have my powerline adapter connected I have my phone, my tv and my desktop computer attached via an extension cord. Is this reducing my bandwidth at my desktop. Anything else I can do to improve my bandwidth on powerline adapters. I was expecting to get more than wifi speed via powerline adapters so that my steam link doesn't lag.

Solution
What type of powerline adapters did you buy. The newer av2- technology should get better speed than you are getting. It does run a bit slower running 3 powerline on a single network rather than 2 but it should not be 6mbit.

If you bought av200 devices that is about the expect speed. Some av500 device can do more but most get in the 50-60mbps range. The newer av2-1200 units should give rates near the 100mbps range.

Now it can be as simple as the units are having issues with your house wiring or some device interfering. Again the newer devices are not affected as much but there are houses that powerline units refuse to function in.

On powerline units with pass though it generally doesn't matter what you plug into...
What type of powerline adapters did you buy. The newer av2- technology should get better speed than you are getting. It does run a bit slower running 3 powerline on a single network rather than 2 but it should not be 6mbit.

If you bought av200 devices that is about the expect speed. Some av500 device can do more but most get in the 50-60mbps range. The newer av2-1200 units should give rates near the 100mbps range.

Now it can be as simple as the units are having issues with your house wiring or some device interfering. Again the newer devices are not affected as much but there are houses that powerline units refuse to function in.

On powerline units with pass though it generally doesn't matter what you plug into them...the connectors are just metal that connects straight though. It would not be much different than plugging things into outlet in the same room. In general the devices that cause issues have motors in them. A vacuum cleaner tends to kill powerline signals pretty effectively for me. A computer should not have much impact. It would have to be something like a defective power supply but that is not very common.

Solution

salilsurendran

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008

I have the link in the question it is av500

Latest posts