[SOLVED] Two monitors have different brightness

jackstevens5

Prominent
Apr 8, 2019
Hello,

I have recently bought the exact same monitor as my main to use for a dual setup. My main is connected using HDMI to my graphics card and my second is connected using a HDMI converter to display port cable to my graphics card.
However, I have set the second monitor settings with the exact same as my main but there is more brightness to it? I have a plain black wallpaper and it shows a dark grayish colour on my second monitor.

Both of my monitors are BenQ GL2580H 24.5.

I have also noticed when my computer is turned off, the led light on my main is orange under the power button and my second is bright red colour?

I'm confused what is going here. Not sure if my monitor is stuffed because I recently just bought it last week, or there needs to be adjustments in windows settings or it's just the type of cables I'm using?

Much help would be appreciated, thanks!

Solution
Turns out they are the same monitor, but not then. They have different serial numbers. A bunch of different serial numbers. That and made 2yrs apart, BenQ will have changed its suppliers according to contract pricing, even maybe changed factories that produce the parts. Theres no way they are identical, even if they are the same model number. You'd have to find another monitor built in close to September of 2017 to have any luck with matching quality, bleed characteristics, led color. That way the serial/batch/factory numbers all line up for that year model.

Any monitor you switch out, repeatedly, will have the same characteristics as the 2019 build unless you get unlucky and they get one from the back of the shelf, dust it off and...
Apr 8, 2019
You could adjust color correction / Gamma/ Brightness and so on , either in windows setting or monitor settings
Or in some cases the Graphics card Settings Panel.

The off color on your black background is light bleed, not much you can do about it. Brightness/light bleed/color can all vary slightly between monitors of the same model.

You could try changing cables, but realistically that won't do anything. Go ahead and spend some time calibrating your monitors, not much else you can do.

jackstevens5

Prominent
Apr 8, 2019
The off color on your black background is light bleed, not much you can do about it. Brightness/light bleed/color can all vary slightly between monitors of the same model.

You could try changing cables, but realistically that won't do anything. Go ahead and spend some time calibrating your monitors, not much else you can do.

Yeah light bleed is exactly what it is. I called up BenQ the other day and they said it's a faulty monitor most likely. I returned it back and got another one, but it still gives me the same light bleed? Especially the LED power button.

I'm all confused like is it the powerboard or the adapter or am I just having bad luck getting another faulty monitor? Even if it is the adapter, how would that affect the LED colour at the bottom of the monitor where the power button is?

I'm just all confused.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The plastic that the button is made from comes from a factory in China? Korea? Taiwan? Different batches can and do have different composition and that can include the amount of color. This applies to leds too, that have slight variations in electrode density, etc etc etc.
All depends on who made that particular batch or batches and the price in contract. One monitor might have a Chinese led and the other 2 might have Taiwanese.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Op has 2 identical model monitors. 1 is good, the other has bleed. So he replaced the bleeder, and ended up with the same thing, another bleeder. His issue with the power buttons is the solo monitor has a ruby light when on and the original bleeder and the replacement bleeder both have orange lights. Same monitor, 2 diff color power buttons.

jackstevens5

Prominent
Apr 8, 2019
Op has 2 identical model monitors. 1 is good, the other has bleed. So he replaced the bleeder, and ended up with the same thing, another bleeder. His issue with the power buttons is the solo monitor has a ruby light when on and the original bleeder and the replacement bleeder both have orange lights. Same monitor, 2 diff color power buttons.

You got most of that correct but the good monitor power button is orange. The bleeders have the ruby colour power button.

Here are the two images with the information of the two monitors. I have labeled them both which one is good and bad.

And here is photo of showing the led lights. Left is good, right is bad.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Turns out they are the same monitor, but not then. They have different serial numbers. A bunch of different serial numbers. That and made 2yrs apart, BenQ will have changed its suppliers according to contract pricing, even maybe changed factories that produce the parts. Theres no way they are identical, even if they are the same model number. You'd have to find another monitor built in close to September of 2017 to have any luck with matching quality, bleed characteristics, led color. That way the serial/batch/factory numbers all line up for that year model.

Any monitor you switch out, repeatedly, will have the same characteristics as the 2019 build unless you get unlucky and they get one from the back of the shelf, dust it off and give you a 2 yr old NIB monitor instead of a brand new one just received in the last shipment.

Solution

jackstevens5

Prominent
Apr 8, 2019

Any monitor you switch out, repeatedly, will have the same characteristics as the 2019 build unless you get unlucky and they get one from the back of the shelf, dust it off and give you a 2 yr old NIB monitor instead of a brand new one just received in the last shipment.

Yeah I wish I checked the back of the monitor when I returned the first one and let the store know. It will be hard to find another BenQ monitor built around September 2017.

I have put another complaint about it to BenQ with the photos showing the information about the monitors hoping they will do something about it. Do you think they will? Or do you reckon they will pretty much tell me to suck it up? I'm hoping they will do something about it though, I shouldn't be having light bleeds right?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Bleeding is a very common side affect unfortunately, some monitors get it more than others. Gotta figure the leds are usually edge mount, so that's going to be the highest concentration of lumens, especially in the corners where 2x strips are adding lumens. If you layer the back of the screen too heavily, then you loose a bunch of brightness as the back light won't shine through as much, and if it's too light then you get tons of brightness, but more bleed on the edges as a result. Very fine line to walk. The better, more expensive monitors will have variable output leds that'll lower the lumens output near the corners slightly, which keeps average lumens equal at any area.

There are usually settings other than brightness that can be applied, many times the gimmick 'perfect picture' or other button can be disabled etc. But thats upto you to decide, once you have the monitor calibrated to your satisfaction.