Two Month Old Build - Turns On For 2secs, Then Off, Then Back On, No P.O.S.T., No Video

PReid76

Prominent
Mar 4, 2017
After building this PC (system specs below) approximately 2-months ago it has been running like a top, and so it should for what it cost. Last evening I was only surfing the internet when it shut off without warning. On attempting to start it back up I hit the power button, it runs for about 2-secs, shuts off, then starts back up again and remains running but does not post nor is there any video display on my monitor. I had overclocked the CPU ever so slightly after doing alot of reading / watching instructional YouTube videos to 3.7GHz and it has been running quite stable w/ regular temperatures from what I have witnessed. QCode displays 00 and the onboard CPU status LED remains lit, which, according to the manual, indicates there may be a potential CPU issue / problem.

I have read a few other threads that have a similar-ish issue. I do not have another PSU to try out as has been suggested elsewhere. I have tried unplugging all of the RAM except 1-stick then boot but same result. I have gone through all of the connections, unplugging then re-plugging each. During original installation / assembly I did not apply additional thermal paste to the CPU cooler before installing, as it did have some present which I thought was a sufficient amount on it upon receiving it new, rookie mistake maybe but like I said it has been running great.

I would very much appreciate any guidance and / or assistance that anyone can provide. I consider myself a fairly tech-savvy person but as this was my first solo computer build I would appreciate any positive feedback people have to offer.

Thanks.

Paul Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

System specs are as follows:

Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Case
ASUS X99 Deluxe II Motherboard
Intel Core i7-6850K 15M Broadwell-E 6-Core 3.6 GHz
Corsair Hydro Series H110i Extreme Performance Water/Liquid CPU Cooler, 280mm
2 x ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition Graphics Card
Corsair HX 1000i High Performance Power Supply
Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR4 3000
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 2280 512GB
2 x WD Black 6TB Performance HDD

Solution
It may actually be the mobo (oh please be the mobo).
I had a similar issue with an Asus Sabertooth for my amd 8350k, and in my case the cpu led lights up, but the cpu was cool to the touch.
and then i put the same cpu onto another compatible one, and it turns out the cpu was ok.

try replacing the mobo first.

Darthutos

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
It may actually be the mobo (oh please be the mobo).
I had a similar issue with an Asus Sabertooth for my amd 8350k, and in my case the cpu led lights up, but the cpu was cool to the touch.
and then i put the same cpu onto another compatible one, and it turns out the cpu was ok.

try replacing the mobo first.

Solution