[SOLVED] Two new graphics cards gone bad????

kittenmueller

Reputable
May 26, 2018
My cousin has 2 gaming pcs someone made for him. He had me replace graphics cards in both which were both bad- I thought that was odd....They were both
Visiontek Radeon 5450 1GB DDR3. This was about a month ago for both. That is what was in them before and I replaced with exact same. Maybe bad idea?? They have BOTH gone bad. So , he has a TV, 2 pcs and the cable box plugged into a 10 plug strip with surge protectors. Could this be the issue ? I am bewildered as to the cause other then they guy who built them cheaped out and something is incompatible in these pcs ( Gaming pc's) I told him he should have them on separate surge protected plugs, but other then that , I think it odd they both have gone out 2 times now. Thoughts??
Thanks

Solution
If overloading power board was the issue then the surge protector would kick in and stop providing power to everything connected to it.

Two new graphics cards dying because of power strip overload? Unlikely. Did the new cards work then go bad or just not work at all? If card's weren't already doa, then id say, most likely, the common factor here is power supplies used in both computers. Since same generation of card worked before it couldn't be compatibility reasons.

There's more going on here and need more information regarding these two computers and components involved. Cpu, motherboard, power supply etc. And elaborate on symptoms because no display issues can vary and doesn't always mean it's the graphics card.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If overloading power board was the issue then the surge protector would kick in and stop providing power to everything connected to it.

Two new graphics cards dying because of power strip overload? Unlikely. Did the new cards work then go bad or just not work at all? If card's weren't already doa, then id say, most likely, the common factor here is power supplies used in both computers. Since same generation of card worked before it couldn't be compatibility reasons.

There's more going on here and need more information regarding these two computers and components involved. Cpu, motherboard, power supply etc. And elaborate on symptoms because no display issues can vary and doesn't always mean it's the graphics card.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Solution

InvalidError

Titan
Gaming PCs with 1GB DDR3 HD5450s? Ouch. Modern IGPs are much faster than that.

If two identical GPUs went bad at the same time, you have to look at common causes. For example, if both GPUs were connected to the TV as a secondary monitor and using input switching on the TV to pick which PC gets put through, then it could be a surge going coax -> STB -> TV -> PCs and frying both GPUs.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

kittenmueller

Reputable
May 26, 2018

Yeah, I figured exactly what you just said. Power supplies. He is dropping them off soon. They were Doa to me. He said one worked until he moved it to that power strip. The other PC had barely been used at all. I replaced both 2 weeks apart, ordered same card as that was what was in them. Worked perfectly when returned to him a month ago. I thought same thing, can't be both are bad. Something is causing it. Thinking I'll keep them here and use them to see if I have issues after I fix them. I'll get specs on power supplies when I get them back in next day or 2. Thanks.

kittenmueller

Reputable
May 26, 2018
Ok, so I had written a few things down when they were here before. The PSu is a smart 500. Not the bet but should be good enough i would think for these homemade pcs. he is not a big gamer and i cannot see him overclocking enough to blow anything. I will get more specs when he drops them off.